Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 21-06-10, 22:31

Question 1933 Directory for Bothenhampton, Bridport, Dorset?

Is there any sort of online Directory for Bothenhampton, Bridport, Dorset for 1933? I am particularly interested in the years 1922-1935. I have tried looking in BT Directories on Ancestry but this person probably didn't have a phone and/or lived with one of his daughters.
Old 22-06-10, 05:59
Administrator

Vanessa, I'm not sure that there is anything that late online for Bridport. If I were you I would try emailing Bridport library with your enquiry. It's only a small library though, so they may not hold the directories themselves, but would point you in the right direction. As what you need sounds like a straightforward lookup, I doubt they would need to charge you at all. Here's their email addy:

Email: [email protected]

Beware that Bridport libary is closed for essential maintenence until after this Saturday, so you may not get an immediate response!

In the meantime you cold perhaps try Dorchester library, which may well be where directories covering Bridport will be in any case:

Email: [email protected]

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-06-10, 06:18
Administrator

I've just looked at the OPC page for Bridport and they almost have what you want!! Quote:

Postal Directories Extracts for Directories from 1791, 1865, 1880, 1895 & 1935 are now online. I can also do look-ups in Pigot's 1852/44, Hunt & Co Directory 1851, Kelly's 1875 & Kelly's 1903

http://www.opcdorset.org/Allington_B...ectory1935.htm

You could also try contacting the OPC for the parish in case he can help:

http://www.opcdorset.org/Allington_B..._Allington.htm

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-06-10, 14:58

Thanks Merry. I had already contacted the OPC for Dorset so hope he/they find something. Bridport Library research requests seem to go thru Dorset Local Studies Centre and they want big money to due a simple look up for anything. Dorset Local Studies has always been unhelpful, so I shall wait for the OPC.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it
Old 22-06-10, 18:53
Muggins in Sussex

Hello Vanessa

I visit Dorchester quite often as I have family living there. When I plan my next trip, I'll send you a PM and see if there is anything I can do, if you haven't managed to find what you want by then

Joan
Old 23-06-10, 22:10

Thanks Muggins! I am still waiting to hear back from the OPC - apparently they are quite busy, therefore slow to respond