Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-06-10, 06:08
Administrator

Quote:
Guy on FTF has done it and can quote the law backwards.
lol! I think forwards would be sufficient

I know about ten to fifteen years ago Southampton Reg Office charges £19 to do this and you were allowed a set legth of time, which I've forgotten!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-06-10, 06:36
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBee View Post

I would also think that they wouldn't be too happy to help if you're looking for the result of a out of marriage relationship.
Why what difference would that make?
Old 17-06-10, 06:51
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
If you think he registered the birth, the child might be registered under two surnames - ie as illegititmate under mmn and as if legitimate.

Provided the surname isn't Smith! you could search Ancestry births for the relevant period, using your grandfather's surname, then search under the mmn for illegitimate entries.
sorrilsain doesn't have the MMN though thats the problem.
Old 17-06-10, 07:14
Administrator

I think what Phoenix meant was, search using the father's surname, and if you find a likely entry, then take the MMN from that entry and search again using that as the surname and see if there is a corresponding entry, i.e. the child was indexed under both surnames.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-06-10, 07:18

That's really interesting. I'd always wished the english system was like the scottish one where you could see the images from the registers and be able to search.

I should ask Guy what his experience was.

It might be that if you approach the Registrar nicely that they would do the search for you for a fee - that is if you know the rough date and register office involved. (though they might say they couldn't find anything as there's a good chance the father's name isn't registered).
Old 17-06-10, 08:34

I too feel that the Registrar would be obstructive in this kind of search, which might be seen by some to be "sensitive" information, that is, looking for evidence of an extra marital relationship, so it might be better to keep the purpose of your search rather vague, in case they play the Data Protection card.

You can certainly search the registers in my local office, at a search fee of £28 per hour, and in the presence of the Registrar AND at her convenience. You can also pay for a search, but with such vague information you aren't going to get value for money!

OC
Old 17-06-10, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I think what Phoenix meant was, search using the father's surname, and if you find a likely entry, then take the MMN from that entry and search again using that as the surname and see if there is a corresponding entry, i.e. the child was indexed under both surnames.
Thank for explaining my thoughts more lucidly, Kite!

I've used the method the other way round, to put illegitimate children into family groupings.
Old 17-06-10, 10:41

The prices you are quoting are far higher than what Guy has said. It's trivial from memory although I can't remember the amount.

As for what you want there is no reason to tell the Registrar anything other than you want to look at the registers under the applicable legislation.
Old 17-06-10, 12:07

Kit

The fees are as quotd on the various websites.

There doesn't appear to be any consistency. Some local ROs state that you cannot search the registers yourself, others don't exactly say you CAN, but they give research fees and instructions about making an appointment. The research fees are high enough to put off the nosey parkers.

OC
Old 17-06-10, 21:17
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
ahhh now I understand.