Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-06-10, 14:10

Question Tracing a birth with just the father's name

Hi

I have been researching my family tree for about seven years. For the most part I have quite a comprehensive tree now. I have, however, hit the obligatory brick walls with some ancestors - and I hope that in time, with a little inspiration, I might surmount these dead ends.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any precedent for requesting to view the registrar's actual register of births. I ask this question because I know that my Grandfather had an extra marital relationship in WWII and fathered a child. No-one in the family can remember his lady friend's surname - and there's the rub... how do I search for the birth. However, I have been informed that he registered the birth so I'm sure he is listed as the father.

I am sure I have read somewhere that we can request to view the actual register (Halsbury's Law paragraph 505 note 4) - however, the relevant office say I can only do a general search of the indexes. Any advice please!
Old 16-06-10, 14:13
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, sorrilsain

I don't have time to answer now as am just off out of the door, but I'm sure someone will come to your rescue shortly! I just thought I'd say welcome in the mean time

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-06-10, 14:17

If you think he registered the birth, the child might be registered under two surnames - ie as illegititmate under mmn and as if legitimate.

Provided the surname isn't Smith! you could search Ancestry births for the relevant period, using your grandfather's surname, then search under the mmn for illegitimate entries.
Old 16-06-10, 17:20

Hmm. Do you know the sex of the child or which area s/he was born? If your grandfather registered the birth but wasn't married to the mother they would both have had to attend the register office together. If she was a married woman she might have passed the child off as hers, or they may have invented a surname for respectablility and pretended to be married.

On the other hand, if they were straight-forward about it, Phoenix's suggestion might help you find the answer.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 16-06-10, 19:33

I would be interested to know if it is possible to search the registers rather than the indexes. I have seen them do it on the Heir Hunters programme so it does seem that it can be allowed.
Margaret
Old 16-06-10, 19:38

Here's an extract of the relevant regulation
Searches at a registrar’s office.
Every registrar must, at any time when his office is required to be open for the transaction of public business, allow searches to be made in any register of live births or deaths and register of marriages in his keeping and must on payment of the proper fee give a certified copy under his hand of any entry in them. The right of the public to search the registers of births and deaths cannot be taken away by the Registrar General under his power to make regulations.
Seems clear that the public can make a search so I'd go armed with this info and demand rthe right to search.
Margaret
Old 16-06-10, 19:42

I think actually viewing the register is a rare occurrence for the extremely lucky/influential - otherwise they would be inundated with requests.

I would also think that they wouldn't be too happy to help if you're looking for the result of a out of marriage relationship.

That would be interesting if the Registrar adhered to the above regulation (wouldn't be surprised if they had another to counter it).
Old 16-06-10, 19:58

I don't suppose they make it easy but I'm not sure they would necessarily be inundated as it's much easier now to search the digitised index than physically go to a particular office and spend possibly an hour or two leafing through a register.
I'd be interested to know how Sorrilsain gets on with a challenge.
Margaret
Old 16-06-10, 21:58

I remember on Heir Hunters one of the Fraser & Fraser folk spent hours going through registers in a RO. It helped that he had previously worked as a registrar.
Old 17-06-10, 01:02

You can search the registers.

Guy on FTF has done it and can quote the law backwards. The ROs may not want to let you but legally they have to. There is supposed to be a small fee attached to this but I don't know if Guy has been charged it.

I would think you have to make an appointment and it would be best to take a copy of the legislation with you to assert your right.

Last time I heard of Guy going to search a register they were bloody minded and wouldn't let him touch the register, meaning someone had to sit with him and turn the pages when he was ready.