Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-12-09, 11:57

Sorry KR - didn't think!

Marg - our Mortlocks are from Swavesey in Cambridgeshire and then Holywell cum Needingworth, but Jeanette and Julia's brother lived in Cambridge. Can't find anything on Ancestry that looks like an obvious marriage for Julia but can't find an obvious death either.

Looks like I am going to be spending this cold weekend pedalling the 1911 census!

Thanks again

AN
Old 18-12-09, 12:33

Have a good look at that Mortlock website. You never know. There are Mortlock's from all over the world on there (mine included).
Old 21-12-09, 11:10

Have now found Julia on the 1911 as a Cook at Berners Hall in Ongar and I think I have found a death for her, back home in St Ives in MQ 1957, still unmarried at the age of
80. Will be getting the certificate for that one.

Need to have a good look now at all these various Mauds...

Thanks for your input

AN
Old 21-12-09, 11:20

Marg - is there a quick way of opening the Works files on Tony's website? I know I have tried and failed before and had to get Mr Griffiths to e mail me the information, but is there an easy way? I would like to go back and look to see if there is anything I have missed.

AN
Old 21-12-09, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anstey Nomad View Post
Marg - is there a quick way of opening the Works files on Tony's website? I know I have tried and failed before and had to get Mr Griffiths to e mail me the information, but is there an easy way? I would like to go back and look to see if there is anything I have missed.

AN

Ah I remember that problem. All I can suggest is right clicking and then "open with" and choose whatever your word processing program is. Robert Griffiths insists on using Works, I don't know why.
Old 18-04-10, 16:21

Hi Margaret

I've finally dug this out again (OH is MIA for the rest of the day so I finally have some time). Maud Hard is on the 1911, so it's not her. Maud Smiths are not uncommon...and they move about.

I've also looked on Free BMD for Mauds (no middle name) born in Cambridgeshire in 1902 and from that list I have two unaccounted for. Think I'd better ask for the certs and see what happens.

It says Cambridge for the POB on the 1911 and Julia certainly had a brother in Cambridge. He lived in the same street as the Medlocks so we presume this is how Julia's sister met her husband. If it really was Cambridge, Maud could haev been baptised at St Giles, which seems to be the family church.

Onwards and upwards

AN
Old 18-04-10, 17:37

Hi Sheila

Have you had anymore contact with Robert Griffiths or any luck with Tony Mortlock's website?
Old 20-04-10, 09:47

No Marg I haven't - been very lax of late - too much sitting around in Browns with ice cream sundaes on my days off and not enough research!

Sheila
Old 20-04-10, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anstey Nomad View Post
No Marg I haven't - been very lax of late - too much sitting around in Browns with ice cream sundaes on my days off and not enough research!

Sheila

Nice though aren't they.
Old 25-06-10, 14:06

Resurrecting this thread to say that Maud's granddaughter from Oz has just left after being with us for a week as part of what she calls her Adventia before Dementia. We're still none the wiser as to Maud's name at birth, but apparently she remembered all her life being put on a train from London to Cov at the age of 3, on her own, with a label, like Paddington Bear, so we think that her mother may have tried to keep her and then found she could not and then sent her to her sister. Poor little soul. We've been to the house where she grew up, the house where her daughter was born and we have met some real live Mortlocks in Huntingdonshire, who are related.

Such a pleasure to take Maud's granddaughter to the churchyard where her great grandmother is buried - the great grandmother that was always referred to as 'great aunt' because of the stain of illegitimacy.

Makes you think

AN