Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 23-06-10, 09:07

i had a good look for him in the other censuses, but didn't find him. There was a German guy with a similarish name in 1871, but he was a musician by profession.

I see from the newspaper cuttings that he had a BA - any idea where he got it? He's not in the Oxford or Cambridge alumni databases.
Old 25-06-10, 02:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
Ah, I wondered where you'd got the information about him from. There are a couple of cuttings on the Gale newspaper site with brief details of the appointments you mentioned.

If you have any contacts in Sydney who can visit the archives, I should think his naturalisation record will be useful.
As the Cole's have several Cof E clergymen, I would be happy to look up his naturalisation at State Records and see what they have.

Di
Old 25-06-10, 05:41
Administrator

Di, that would be lovely. Leonie is in Sydney but is in her 80s now and it is not so easy for her to get into these places.

Mary, we have very little detail for him, we have a lot more thanks to you people!

I doubt we will get his parents but at least we have filled out a bit more about him.

Thanks everyone.

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 25-06-10, 05:56

Okay, I will schedule a trip to State Records as soon as possible. I am thinking perhaps next Tuesday, or a day in the following week (when its school hols), working around my other commitments. I have a long list of things I have been putting off because of fluctuating work.
Old 25-06-10, 09:40

I just noticed that Ancestry have naturalisation records on their .au site, but this one doesn't show up - in fact there's nothing for 1867, so I assume they haven't uploaded everything yet.