Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 27-02-19, 11:04
Administrator

Default Ancestry Lab beta features

I don't know whether everyone has this coming up on ancestry today? On the "Extras" tab it shows Ancestry Lab - new and when I click on it, there are beta features that you can enable to try them out:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/beta

The features currently included are as follows:

MyTreeTagsTM beta

Add labels to people in your tree to highlight personal details or to clarify your research status. If you enable this feature, you will be able to access it directly from your tree and on every Facts page for the people in your tree.

New & Improved DNA Matches beta

If you enable this feature, you can more easily sort, group, and view your DNA matches in any way you'd like.

Please note that if you have been using Chrome extensions to sort or organize your matches, these extensions will not be supported in this beta experience. We advise you first save or record any work you may have done with any Chrome extensions before participating in this beta feature.

They both sound worth a try! I wonder whether this is what ancestry are going to be talking about in their livestream from Rootstech tomorrow?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 27-02-19, 11:09
Administrator

I should add that I tried this in a different browser (Opera) and just kept getting "Something went wrong - try again" but it still works in Firefox for me, so you may need to try a different browser if you can't get it to load in your usual one. I have enabled both features now and will report back. Also, you can disable the features again if you don't like them after enabling them.

Old 27-02-19, 11:29
Administrator

The "new and improved DNA matches" feature looks good so far - it displays all the comments that you have added on the list of matches, rather than you having to click to view each one, and a lot of my matches are now automatically labelled "Father's side" (as my Dad has also had his DNA tested.) And there is a button to click for each one - "Add to group" - so you can set up a group of shared matches to look at (maximum of 24 groups; I don't know yet if there is a limit to how many matches you can put in each group) and choose a colour for each group. Also the filters are improved. I'm itching to get on with sorting into groups but I have to go out shopping now! Will look at it properly later, though.

Old 27-02-19, 11:56
maggie_4_7

Yes I have it but I was on tablet and I seemed to lose the notes I had put in but I was looking quickly before I went out. I shall take another closer look now I am on laptop.

How do you get to the notes to edit or add?

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 27-02-19 at 12:04.
Old 27-02-19, 12:49
Administrator

Do you mean the notes that you can add to your tree, or the DNA match ones, Maggie?

Old 27-02-19, 13:03
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Do you mean the notes that you can add to your tree, or the DNA match ones, Maggie?
The DNA matches one.
Old 27-02-19, 13:31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
The DNA matches one.
Hmm, it seems a bit fiddly at the moment! I clicked on the person's name on the DNA match list and it took me straight to the "compare" screen and then I had to click on her name again to get to the page where it lets you add or edit notes.

Old 27-02-19, 13:35
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Hmm, it seems a bit fiddly at the moment! I clicked on the person's name on the DNA match list and it took me straight to the "compare" screen and then I had to click on her name again to get to the page where it lets you add or edit notes.
ahh okay, I was trying to click on the icon of the notes didn't think to click on name again. As long as I can get to them to edit and add.
Old 27-02-19, 13:08

I have clicked on the two options and just a very few of my matches have notes against them. This is because most of my matches have no trees at all.

It tells me shared ancestors, but they are only for ones I already knew about, so I hope it will improve in time.
Old 27-02-19, 13:32
maggie_4_7

Interestingly I had a 10 new matches appear today and I looked at one that intrigued me and when I went to the profile it told me which ancestor connected us which I thought 'ooh brilliant' but when I looked in his tree this ancestor isn't there!

But he is connected by that ancestor through a granddaughter but he hasn't got any ancestors on that part of the tree and also he has misspelt her name as Kirby when it should be Kilby (I have both names in my tree to make it more confusing) so I assume they are looking at both trees and comparing potential ancestors of his lady with mine.

Also I have a new laptop (bought October and I was trying to keep it as clean as possible and without too many downloads) and was using Microsoft Edge but the Ancestry Lab beta was playing up so I have downloaded FireFox now. So it doesn't work well in Microsoft Edge although Ancestry do say they only support Chrome, Firefox and Safari.