Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 21-09-10, 23:46

Not sure where to put this............but I can't find any other marriage for a Benge that looks right at all.

I checked all the Elizabeth Sawyer marriages..........then all the possible deaths for her husband............then all possible remarriages from 1842 to 1852 and couldn't see anything......
Old 22-09-10, 06:55
Administrator

But if she had been married and widowed before and had married James, but the record got lost, then her previous surname and maiden name would most likely appear on her childs birth cert. I am always suspicious when the 'wife' is more than a couple of years older than her husband, there's no marriage and she is 'missing' from a census when in her early 20s!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-09-10, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
But if she had been married and widowed before and had married James, but the record got lost, then her previous surname and maiden name would most likely appear on her childs birth cert. I am always suspicious when the 'wife' is more than a couple of years older than her husband, there's no marriage and she is 'missing' from a census when in her early 20s!!
I agree but it was either look for this or one of mine.......lol
Old 22-09-10, 11:19
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Yes she was born abt 1826 and James in 1831 and she only had 5 children with James which isn't many for that time.
Old 22-09-10, 12:02
Administrator

And she isn't showing up as Sawyer in 1851?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-09-10, 12:09
maggie_4_7

Quote:
And she isn't showing up as Sawyer in 1851?
There's loads of Elizabeth Sawyers and I don't know which one she is because I don't know her father's name or where she'd be in 1851 I assumed she was married by then to James but...
Old 22-09-10, 12:14
Administrator

I forgot, James is missing in 1851 isn't he? Maybe we need to try harder to find him? I got no results for anyone called James b Whitechapel whose occ was port* on FMP

Old 23-09-10, 06:58
maggie_4_7

I must have trawled over a 1000 - 1500 census returns yesterday using all sorts of search terms and zilch!

Old 23-09-10, 11:02
Administrator

lol!!

I don't know if you had seen the baptism for James and Elizabeth's eldest two, Catherine and James (surname Benj!!)?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...rc=&pid=470366

Catherine's says she was born 16th Aug 1852 and was bap 13th March 1855, but there's apparently no birth reg for her unless this is her:

Births Sep 1852
Beens Catherine St. Giles 1b 308

Whilst Beens does seem to be a real name there are no further registrations for a Catherine - just this birth.

I'm just trying to force James and Elizabeth together back as far as 1851! lol

Old 23-09-10, 17:59
maggie_4_7

I have always assumed that is Catherine's birth reg because she says she was born in St Giles whether it was Cripplegate or Bloomsbury is another matter because the family lived in and around Cripplegate most of the time (ahhh has a thought about 1851) but on one census its says St Giles Bloomsbury but that might be the enumerator's assumption.

...and yes I have seen those baptisms before it is them they seemed to be a bit tardy baptising their children. Jane Benge was born in 1864 and baptised in 1874!

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 23-09-10 at 18:05.

Tags
to2g24