Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 26-05-10, 23:38
Administrator

Lynda, can I ask where you got the census image from, please? If it was from a subscription website or a CD, for instance, it shouldn't be posted up on here.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-05-10, 23:44

Oh, sorry, it was ancestry. I'll try and delete it.

Lynda
Old 26-05-10, 23:46

Could not delete the attachment, so deleted the message. Copied the text here:

I have Harriet on all the census returns, 1861 thru 1881 with her parents and 1891 with Samuel and their children. Mind, on the 1881 she is squeezed in between her mother and the next line, almost as an afterthought.

Lynda
Old 27-05-10, 15:27
Administrator

Given that was only a couple of years before her first child with Samuel,. I guess if either of them was already married then it's more likely to be Samuel.

Not that that helps at all!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 27-05-10, 15:29
Administrator

Do you know what happened to Samuel's brother, Charles George?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 27-05-10, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Given that was only a couple of years before her first child with Samuel,. I guess if either of them was already married then it's more likely to be Samuel.

Not that that helps at all!!
Well maybe a tiny little bit .. if I have to start shelling out for certs it should only be for possible marriages of one person rather than two .. small comfort!
Old 27-05-10, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Do you know what happened to Samuel's brother, Charles George?
No, I have no idea. A couple of years ago when I was working on this line it seemed to be impossible .. it's such a common name. And then, I was having some success with tracking back on Harriet's side so it didn't seem such a big deal not to know what happened with Samuel's brother. Now with all the new info on ancestry maybe it's time to give it another go.

Lynda
Old 27-05-10, 19:12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnMini View Post
Well maybe a tiny little bit .. if I have to start shelling out for certs it should only be for possible marriages of one person rather than two .. small comfort!
Before shelling out for certs you should always try looking for couples on the following census and also cross referencing with the wife's age and place of birth and maiden name on the previous census. Obviously you probably won't be able to eliminate every couple, but should be able to reduce the list a bit. Oh, and check the marriages you are examining are not on the LMA records on ancestry - you might be able to eliminate some from the father's details.

I can't find a definite match for Charles in 1881 nor an obvious death for him at all, with his full name.

Old 27-05-10, 20:59

Thanks for all your help and advice, Merry. And to Kiterunner for reminding me about not posting images from ancestry .. don't know where my head was when I did that.

Right now I am actually trying to get thru another part of the family before I go visiting cousins in June, so will be getting back to the Collins' later.

Lynda

Tags
togg10