Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 23-04-10, 19:26
maggie_4_7

Default John McMillan

My father's father's mother's father:

Name:
John McMillan

Date and place of birth:
Abt 1827 in Stoneykirk, Wigtownshire, Scotland

Names of parents:
Not known

Date and place of baptism:
Not known

Details of each of his or her marriages:
Marriage to Mary Duffy probably on one of these dates October 1852, August 21st 1853, August 1854 in Ayr

Occupation(s):
Beggar, Pedlar, Hawker, Travelling Besom Maker, Coal Labourer, General Labourer, Coalpit Worker and Pit Labourer you name he's done it.

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK):

1841 not found
1851 not found

Chanlockfoot, Penpont, Dumfriesshire, Scotland - 1861 Census
Parish: Penpont; ED: 2; Page: 1; Line: 22; Roll CSSCT1861_145; Year: 1861

Winchiels Shed, Hutton and Corrie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland - 1871 Scottish Census
Parish: Hutton and Corrie; ED: 1; Page: 9; Line: 13; Roll CSSCT1871_184; Year: 1871

Kames Row, Muirkirk, Ayrshire - 1881 Scottish Census
Parish: Muirkirk; ED: 7; Page: 24; Line: 9; Roll cssct1881_194; Year: 1881

Old Glenlee, Kells, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland - 1891 Census
Parish: Kells; ED: 7; Page: 4; Line: 6; Roll CSSCT1891_401; Year: 1891

50 New St, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland - 1891 Scottish Census
Parish: Riccarton; ED: 2; Page: 15; Line: 5; Roll CSSCT1901_236; Year: 1901

Date, place and cause of death:
3rd April 1901 aged 74 Widower of Mary Duffy at 50 New Street, Riccarton, Ayrshire, Scotland cause of death Cardiac Fail with Bronchitis certified - informant of death James Harper his son in law who was present at death. No parent's names just Mr McMillan and Mrs McMillan both deceased!

Date and place of burial:
Not known

Details of will / administration of their estate:
Not known

Memorial inscription:
Not known

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 24-04-10 at 20:04. Reason: to add census information and death
Old 23-04-10, 23:44
Administrator

This looks likely to be them in 1861, according to ancestry's transcription:
Registration district Penpont, civil parish Penpont, county Dumfriesshire, Address Chanlockfoot. John is age 34 born "Stonigkirk, Wigtonshire" and occupation is beggar. Mary 24 born Ayr and children John and James though it looks as though their names are the wrong way round.

And in 1891 ancestry says there is a John McMillan age 65 born Stoneykirk, Wigtonshire, living as a servant with a Robert McMillan age 87, Agnes 43 and William J 41 at Old Glenlee, Kells, Kirkcudbrightshire. Unfortunately ancestry didn't transcribe marital status on the Scottish censuses, so you would need to check on Scotland's People to see if it says he is married.

And I must get off to bed, but there is a John age 76 who is father-in-law to a James Harper in 1901 at Riccarton, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, but it says James's wife is Janet age 20 and there is no Janet in 1881. Is there a Janet with Mary in 1891?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 24-04-10, 08:24
maggie_4_7

Thank you very much.

I've a had a quick look but still can't find what you've found even with all your pointers but I'm sure you're right you usually are. I'll have another look in a few hours I need to get on and get ready.

It is probably them by the sound of it. You've done it again Kite

Edit:

Well I found them it took me a long while I had to take McMillan off and just search for John to get them to come up. Haven't looked at the 1891 or 1901 yet but they had a daughter Janet Ferguson McMillan who married James Harper in 1898 in Old Cumnock, Ayr. I didn't know that until now (with your information) though but I searched for a marriage based on those two names just now on SP.

Janet would be 29 in 1901 but I expect its a mistranscription or difficult to read. So that is him. Well he lived quite an age considering the hard life he had. I must try to track John and Mary's death now I have tried to but now I know he was alive in 1901 it'll be a bit easier and now I have also found a marriage for one of their daughters after the 1891 census where both John and Mary haven't got deceased by their names yet but Janet has put Mary's maiden name as Irvine as I've seen on various births, deaths, marriages both the name Irvine and the name Duffy!

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 24-04-10 at 11:42.
Old 24-04-10, 11:35
maggie_4_7

My god!

That has taken an age to find 1901 even with your information but I found it at last those Scottish transcriptions leave a lot to be desired John is born Stoneyheit this time ... it is him thank you and his daughter and her family this is great I wouldn't have found them.

I'll look for the 1891 for John now.

Edit:

I have now found the 1891 for Janet Ferguson McMillan a Tweed Weaver and lodger on this census:-
29 Shakespeare St, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire
Parish: Dumfries; ED: 11; Page: 5; Line: 6; Roll CSSCT1891_392; Year: 1891.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 24-04-10 at 12:21.
Old 24-04-10, 12:21
maggie_4_7

Found John in 1891 I would say that was him and he could be related to Robert I suppose cousin or uncle who didn't fall on such hard times as my McMillans and so that could be him in 1841 in Kells its the same place. Or perhaps it was because he married Mary who I believe was Catholic and Irish or at least her parents were and they didn't like it lots of prejudice in those days in Scotland towards the Irish immigrants ...

and now I've found his death too. I don't know when the 1901 Scottish census was taken but it was close.

Thank you Kiterunner.
Old 24-04-10, 13:23
maggie_4_7

ahhhh just filling in a few gaps for my great great grandfather John McMillan has given me a hit on Ancestry for a family descended from his son John McMillan born 1859!

I have checked it out (downloaded the cert) I'm off out soon but John McMillan junior married a Mary Fitzpatrick in 1883 it was a Roman Catholic marriage it seems so my feelings on the McMillans and Duffys are correct there seems to be a lot of Irish Catholic connections.
Old 24-04-10, 17:17
Administrator

So, does his death certificate give his parents' names, Maggie?

Old 24-04-10, 19:24
maggie_4_7

No his son in law James Harper put Father - McMillan, Mother - Mrs McMillan! I edited my post up there for his death this morning.

So no help there!

I sent a message to the contact I had a hit on Ancestry this morning by filling in just those few gaps I had and sadly she has the same problem it seems from her reply I haven't replied yet but I can at least fill her in on the rest of the siblings but no parents for John yet.

Edit:

I sent a message this morning and I have come home to a reply she is descended from John McMillan junior born 1859 and Mary Fitzpatrick! How lovely and she is happy that I contacted her which is nice so I'll have conversations with her and I like that she seems keen. nice to get a hit on my Scottish side we have the same Great Great Grandfather

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 24-04-10 at 19:30.
Old 24-04-10, 20:02
maggie_4_7

I've found two John McMillans born about the right time in Wigtownshire because I now believe that is where he was born.

Just a thought...

First family father William and mother Agnes - William McMillan and Agnes both born in Ireland!

Second family father James and mother Elizabeth - James McMillan and Elizabeth both born in Ireland.

John named his first son James and his first daughter Elizabeth!

I think John's parents were Irish too now.
Old 24-04-10, 20:11
Administrator

His first son should be named after his (i.e. John's) father, but his first daughter should be named after the maternal grandmother, if they were following Scottish tradition, and it would be the second daughter who was named after John's mother. Though if John and his wife both had mothers with the same name I suppose the first daughter would be named after both.

Tags
to2g14