Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 10-02-12, 10:43
Administrator

Default Elizabeth Unknown (perhaps Curling)

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Elizabeth, maybe Curling
Date and place of birth about 1759, don't know where
Names of parents Don't know
Date and place of baptism - if applicable Don't know
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any To Thomas Lucey, first child (that I know of) born 10 Oct 1785. Marriage was probably after 18 Mar 1784 as Thomas was an apprentice until then.
Occupation(s) - if any Laundress in 1792; later a Lighterman (she ran the business with her sons after her husband's death)
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!). 1785 - George Row, Bermondsey, London / Surrey
1791 - 1799 Rose Court Folly, Dockhead, Bermondsey
1814 - 4 Artillery Street, Bermondsey
1821 - 10 Mason Street, Kent Road, Southwark, London / Surrey

Date, place and cause of death Sep 1821 Southwark, not got cause
Date and place of burial. 19 Sep 1821 St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey, age 62.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Will written 3 Sep 1821, proved 23 Nov 1821, executors were her friends Friend Lamb of Eastcheap, London, coal merchant, and Frederick Roope of Hyde Place, Hoxton, merchant. Left four of her daughters £50 each and the rest, including her share of the business, to her other three daughters.
"And I hope that my sons will take their Sisters under their Care and act for them in the best manner that they are able." Witnesses G Lamb and Chas Lucey
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Link to daughter's thread:
Ann Jane Lucey

One of Elizabeth's grandchildren had the middle name Curling, and quite a few people have Elizabeth in their public trees with the maiden name Curling, but nobody seems to have found her marriage to Thomas Lucey yet. I found a possible marriage where the surname was transcribed as Girling, but Nell very kindly checked the register and it was clearly written in there as Goding, so unlikely to be the right one. (12 Dec 1784 at St Paul Covent Garden, London.) Elizabeth may have come from Kent - some trees show her as being baptised 26 Aug 1753 Hernhill, Kent, parents John Curling and Mary Blackburn, but I haven't been able to confirm that this is my Elizabeth yet. Some public trees have the Elizabeth from Hernhill down as marrying a Stephen Hollett in 1776.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 05-12-14 at 15:05. Reason: add occupation of laundress
Old 05-12-14, 15:05
Administrator

I've just found a Sun Fire Insurance record listed in TNA's catalogue (held at LMA):

Reference: MS 11936/385/597772
Description: Insured: Thomas Lucey in Rose Court Dock Head, lighterman, his wife a laundress
Date: 17 March 1792

So now I can add another occupation for Elizabeth!

Old 05-12-14, 15:56

The marriage you mentioned is here, Kate:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...f492352710%2f1

It's worth bearing in mind.
Old 05-12-14, 17:26
Administrator

Thanks, Elizabeth. I was looking at that yesterday but couldn't prove anything. There seem to be a few Thomas Luc(e)y and Elizabeth couples having children around the same time though so that marriage could be one of the other couples.

Tags
to4g28