Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 06-04-14, 21:03

Default Henry Smith

My great uncle Henry Smith, always known as Harry, was born 22 Mar 1898 in Edgbaston, Birmingham, first child of Harry and Eliza Smith. Harry senior was a bricklayer and when Harry junior was still an infant the family moved back to his father's home Kinsham in the parish of Bredon, Worcestershire. He was the only dark haired one of the family and in 1917 was not much above 5'4 - all the family were short.

Harry was baptised in April 1911 at Bredon, when he was 13, along with four yonger siblings. He was confirmed at Pendock the following month and had his first communion a couple of days later.

He became a market gardener, working for one of his uncles locally, and was called up, enrolling at Worcester 19th Jan 1917 according to the records. A very gentle lad, he didn't want to go unlike his younger brother. He joined the South Lancashire Regiment, the Prince of Wales' Volunteers, 2nd Batallion.

His records say he was at home from 18 Jan 1917-30 Apr 1917, which is at odds with the date he signed. My grandmother remembered him at home, his leg broken and in a splint. He didn't want to go again but went to France in May.

He was reported missing after the Battle of the Lys, the 4th Battle of Ypres and recorded as killed 10th April 1918, aged 20. He is remembered on the the Ploegsteert Memorial in the Berkshire Cemetery extension.

My great grandmother always hoped that he'd turn up alive but sent money every year for flowers to be laid at the memorial. Some photos and cards were sent back to her in April 1920 and in his records, she's recorded as asking how they received these and if there weren't any other articles and that she'd never heard if he'd been killed outright.

I have two letters, written by Harry in pencil to my grandmother, from somewhere in France and a Christmas card he sent her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harry Smith the younger.jpg (7.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-04-14, 21:10

I can't find his records on Ancestry at the moment but his regimental number was 32259
Old 07-04-14, 11:58
Administrator

This is his medal index card:
medal card on ancestry

I can't find his service papers either.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-04-14, 17:08

Thanks, Kate - I hadn't got that. It's ridiculous that I can't find his records, which I have printed off from Ancestry. Will have another look later. Hate this new search facility
Old 09-04-14, 06:59

Here he is http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=9
Old 09-04-14, 12:31
Administrator

To be fair to ancestry, I can't see his regimental number anywhere on those papers, Asa. Good job there is enough other info in there to be sure it's the right person.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update