Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 04-03-11, 16:32
Administrator

Default Richard Etherington

Name - "official" name and what they were known as Richard Etherington
Date and place of birth About 1796 Woodplumpton, Lancashire
Names of parents Matthew Etherington and Isabella nee Hardman
Date and place of baptism - if applicable Not found
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any 11 Aug 1823 Woodplumpton to Betty Rawlinson
Occupation(s) - if any Farmer
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1841 - Woodplumpton, Lancashire
1851 - 1861 - Moss House, Catforth, Woodplumpton, Lancashire
1871 - Moorside House, Woodplumpton, Lancashire
1881 - Blackpole Road, Woodplumpton

Date, place and cause of death 30 Dec 1883 Woodplumpton, not got cause
Date and place of burial. 3 Jan 1884 St Anne Woodplumpton
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Will proved 6 Jun 1884, estate £160 18s 4d.
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Age given as 22 when he married; 45 to 49 in 1841, 55 in 1851, 59 in 1861, 75 in 1871, 86 when he died. His children were Matthew, Thomas, Margaret and Isabella, and his wife's parents were called Thomas and Margaret, so he fits nicely as a child of Matthew Etherington and Isabella Hardman who married 24 Nov 1788 at St Michael on Wyre, but although they had two children baptised at Salwick Hall / Lea St Mary RC Chapel, no record has been found of Richard's baptism yet.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 14-11-14 at 15:17. Reason: add parents' names
Old 04-03-11, 17:10
Administrator

Witnesses at Richard and Betty's wedding were Thomas Rawlinson and Alice Etherington, and I see there is a marriage also at St Anne's Woodplumpton 29 Sep 1823 between Thomas Rawlinson, 21, husbandman, bachelor of Woodplumpton, and Alice Etherington, 25, spinster of Woodplumpton, witnesses William Millner and Jas Billington. Betty had a brother Thomas born 1802, so I wonder if Alice is Richard's sister. Have to follow this up...

I already found burials for Matthew and Isabella and they both died before civil registration and don't seem to have left wills, or at least not listed on Lancashire will search.

Old 09-03-11, 11:30
Administrator

Right, now we have managed to establish that "Else Etherington" who was baptised 3 Aug 1796, parents Matthew Etherington and Isabella Hardman, was actually an Alice, I'm going to put Richard down as almost certainly a son of Matthew and Isabella, add them all to my tree, and see if it eventually leads me to something that will confirm it, such as a will. I found the Rawlinsons on the 1851 census and Allice was 55 which would fit with her being born 1796, plus their daughter was named Isabella.

Tags
to3g17