Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-09-17, 13:12
Administrator

Very possibly. I'm not seeing any sign of Justan or Bonigna in Scotland at all (only searched briefly though!)

Macbev, please could you have a look at the passenger lists for them?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-09-17, 13:18
Administrator

This must be the death of Alexander.

MITCHELL ALEXANDER aged 95 died 1982 ref 609/ 43 Glasgow, Martha St

This much of his mmn matches with what was on the marriage cert: Nacaiezu* I think that's enough of a match!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-09-17, 13:27
Administrator

oooh, maybe Mitchell is just an Anglicised version of Alexander's surname? When Alex's death was registered there was a second index entry for him with surname Miciulis.

Old 13-09-17, 13:32
Administrator

I bet this is Mary/Maryanna Dairutis's death record, even if I can't see an entry in the name Mitchell!

MICIULIS MARIJONA 61 1949 644/6 350 Townhead

Old 13-09-17, 13:37

There are entries for Miciulis on USA censuses, indicating the birthplace is Lithuania. Looks like the families emigrated....but I've not yet found them on the passenger lists. Still plugging away
Old 13-09-17, 13:52
Administrator

lol I have to go out now, so not ignoring!

Old 13-09-17, 14:05

The passenger list I found the Dairutis entry was the Hamburg Passenger lists 1850-1934 - likely not available on your Ancestry sub. Haven't found any of the other names there.

Slabadu mentioned as Mary's place of origin seems to be currently spelled 'Slabadai'....a very few entries on google.
It is perfectly possible neither sets of parents emigrated...will look to see if I can find a 1911 entry for Mary& Alex on S.P
Old 13-09-17, 16:19
Administrator

I think their first child, Mary, should be with them if the age at death I posted earlier on here is correct. I don't often use SP as I don't have any Scottish ancestry, and I find it really frustration that there are so few search criteria available.

Old 13-09-17, 16:31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbev View Post
There are entries for Miciulis on USA censuses, indicating the birthplace is Lithuania. Looks like the families emigrated....but I've not yet found them on the passenger lists. Still plugging away
I see some of those have alternative name Mitchell. For instance on Family Search there is:

Anthony Miciulis Or Mitchell
Illinois, Northern District Naturalization Index, 1840-1950
birth: 15 Jun 1888 Russia
Arrived in US 8 Mar 1909 New York
naturalization: 14 Oct 1915 Chicago, Illinois

I guess this is very likely to be Alexander's brother?

There's also this couple on the US 1940 census:

Kazimera Miciuhis Head M 61 b Lithuania
Anna Miciulis Wife F 50 b Lithuania

...their children are listed as Mitchell.

Old 13-09-17, 17:29

Not found anything really definitive on the 1911 census so far....and not very willing to use up more credits on what might be a wild goose chase. I think it unlikely the families will appear on earlier censuses. Wonder why Mary left Lithuania? Something important happening in 1908?
There is one private tree on Ancestry that has an Alex Miciulis b.1886....might be worth while trying to make contact. But not tonight I'm off for some shut-eye