Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 12-05-19, 00:39

Default Common Ancestor, but no shared matches......

I was quite excited to find that Ancestry had put up a Common Ancestor match for my daughter, to Michael R at 8cMs in 1 segment.

The Common Ancestors were estimated to be her 5th great grandparents, William Chaplin and Mary Trumplett, and about as far as I could expect to get with DNA matches.

However, when I click on Shared Matches, it comes up Empty. Michael R, apparently, does not share DNA with my father (her grandfather), her first cousin, or my first cousin, or any of the other 40-odd descendants of William and Mary who have their DNA on Ancestry. With so many descendants over 3 generations, I find it hard to understand how he does not match with ANY of them except my daughter.

Neither does he share any DNA with my husbands side of the family who lived in the same area. More than 20 descendants of the Langleys also have DNA on Ancestry.

As the Common Ancestor match is through a third tree (smithian), this needs more investigation. The two trees (Michael Rs and smithians) have different wives for the family member who went to Canada. Its possible the first wife died, the dates are okay, but there is not enough details to be sure - no death dates, census records etc.

I dont have a sub to look at the North American records, so I wait until the next "free" access, 4th July maybe.

So, maybe there is a DNA match, or maybe just a "general" DNA match to the locality, but I am not sure its through the Chaplins.
Old 12-05-19, 00:49

As I understand it, to be a shared match, they have to have a high proportion of DNA in common - presumably over 20 cM.

I have found quite a few matches who are also matches with my cousin, but because they have less than 20cM shared with her, do not show up in shared matches.

Do you manage any of the others' DNA, to check that out?
Old 12-05-19, 12:24

Sometimes they extrapolate trees out. So you have person x in your tree, someone else has their parents and a third the grandparents etc. You need to work out if the extrapolation is correct.
Old 12-05-19, 12:58

I manage my Dad's DNA and he should have a least 16- 40cMs shared with Michael R if my daughter has 8, I would have thought. If its a true match.

Dad and my daughter both have ancestry matches down to 6-8cMs, which are tagged with a common ancestor and they share many matches with other family members.