Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 04-05-19, 14:47

Default Could my West family be aristocratic?

One brick wall I have been BANGING my head against for nearly two years now is the family of my four-times-great-grandfather, Jobe Henry West. He was a brewer, born in Chatham, Kent in 1802 and died in Croydon on 23 July 1880. Beer will always be a business, however in his will he left behind close to £21,000 - £2.5 million in today's money! This makes me think he may have been from a well-off family. Someone who was working on the same branch sent me evidence of an aural tradition passed down through my West family - according to Jobe's sister Sarah, their father was a son of a peer who had large estates in Camden Town, but the son - a John West - never claimed his inheritance as he was apprenticed to a builder who business he took over. He apparently abandoned that business to escape compulsory service in the Napoleonic War and took a job in the Chatham dockyard, returning to London later to be buried in St. John's, Hoxton. More of the tradition is that Jobe's brother James claimed a link to the Sackville-West family, but unfortunately it was said written evidence of a noble connection was stolen from James' son never to resurface. I DO know that John West definitely lies in the St. John's, Hoxton graveyard, so it may not be such a tall tale as it looks. I have found daguerreotypes of Jobe's siblings Edward, Mary, James and Eleanor uploaded by various people on their Ancestry trees, so I'm wondering if Jobe also exists in someone's family treasures somewhere. If you're descended from this family in any way, I'd like to know if you have pictures or viable research/evidence.
Old 04-05-19, 15:45
Administrator

Starting with his baptism, Job Henry West was baptised 4 Apr 1802 at Chatham, the son of John and Eleanor. Then he married Catharine Christiana Wells 9 Oct 1822 at St Luke Old Street, Finsbury, London.

Other children of John and Eleanor baptised at Chatham:
James William 22 Nov 1795
Elaner 18 Feb 1798
Esther 18 Dec 1803

I haven't found images of the baptisms yet to see whether there are details of John's occupation.

Job's marriage record is on ancestry:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...=successSource
The marriage was by banns and it says he was a minor and had consent of parents. Witnesses Richard Wells and Susannah Wells. I was hoping one of the witnesses would be a West!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-05-19, 15:55
Administrator

If John West / Eleanor Birt 7 Oct 1787 St Clement Danes, Westminster, is the correct marriage for the parents, then Findmypast has images but I haven't got a sub to view them. There might be some clues in there as to John's background.

Old 04-05-19, 15:56
Administrator

I have to say, though, I don't see why being apprenticed to a builder and taking over his business would stop someone claiming their inheritance?

Old 04-05-19, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I have to say, though, I don't see why being apprenticed to a builder and taking over his business would stop someone claiming their inheritance?
Perhaps he just wanted a simpler life and found peace in the building business, turning his back on what was coming to him - just a theory of course. I've found his will dated 1834 (the year he died) but I can't make head or tail of it, as particularly ancient cursive is not a strength of mine. (Should be the first will on the image in the link).
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true
Old 04-05-19, 21:39

If you are going to make a fortune in the 1800s, building and brewing are two very good options.
My Best Friend's several greats uncle died in 1884, leaving £15k. He was a builder, but in no way remarkable. He seems simply to have taken the opportunity of the times. The rest of the family were small tradesmen, several dying in the workhouse.

I note that by 1881 his Croydon home is unoccupied,
Old 04-05-19, 21:46

The 1787 marriage at St Clement Danes has the following information
John West of this parish bachelor
Eleanor Birt of the same parish spinster
By Banns
John signed; Eleanor made her mark
Witnesses: Ann West and John Parkines
Old 04-05-19, 21:51
Administrator

In the Name of God Amen I John West of No 10 Powis Place Haverstock Hill Hampstead Road in the County of Middlesex Gentleman being of sound and disposing mind memory and understanding do make this my last Will and Testament that is to say after the payment of all my just and lawful debts funeral expenses and the charges of proving this my will I give and bequeath unto my friend Frederick Boulton of Dalston in the County of Middlesex Gentleman the sum of nineteen pounds nineteen shillings for the purchase of a small piece of plate as a token of my regard for him and as to all the rest residue and remainder of my Personal Estate and Effects of whatever nature kind or quality soever either in reversion expectancy or otherwise as well (?) also all my Right Tithe and interest under and by virtue of a marriage settlement made and entered into by and between myself and my present wife Anna West heretofore Benson Widow bearing date the twenty sixth day of August one thousand eight hundred and twenty five I give and bequeath the same and every part and parcel thereof unto my dear and loving Sister Ann West Spinster for her own sole use and benefit absolutely forever And I hereby nominate constitute and appoint my said dear Sister Ann West sole executrix of this my Late Will and Testament hereby revoking all other Will or Wills by me at any time heretofore made In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this first day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty John West SS Signed sealed and delivered by the said John West the Testator as and for his Last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses hereto E F Phillips clerk to Messrs Birkett Taylor and Cox Cloak Lane - Frederick H Boulton same

Proved at London 9th October 1834 before the Worshipful William Calverley Curteis Doctor of Laws and Surrogate by the Oath of Ann West Spinster the Sister the sole executrix to whom administration was granted having been first sworn duly to administer

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-05-19, 21:53

This is the transcription of the will in the link, but I'm not sure about the connection to the people you are talking about!

In the Name of God Amen
I John West of No. 10 Powis Place Haverstock Hill Hampstead Road in the County of Middlesex Gentleman being of sound and disposing mind memory and understanding do make this my last Will and Testament that is to say after the payment of all my just and lawful debts Funeral expences and the charges of Proving this my Will I give and bequeath unto my Friend Frederick Boulton of Dalston in the County of Middlesex Gentleman the sum of nineteen pounds nineteen shillings for the purchase of a small piece of Plate as a token of my regard for him And as to all the Rest residue and remainder of my Personal Estate and Effects of whatever nature kind or quality soever either in reversion Expectancy or otherwise as well also all my Right Title and interest under and by virtue of a marriage Settlement made and entered into by and between myself and my present Wife Ann West heretofore Benson Widow bearing date the twenty sixth day of August one thousand eight hundred and twenty five I give and bequeath the same and every part and parcel thereof unto my dear and loving Sister Ann West Spinster for her own sole use and benefit absolutely for ever And I hereby nominate constitute and appoint my said dear Sister Ann West sole Executrix of this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking all other Will or Wills by me at any time heretofore made In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this first day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty. John West Signed sealed and delivered by the said John West the Testator as and for his last will and Testament in the presence of us who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses hereto. E. F. Phillips Cl.k to Mess.rs Birkett Taylor & Cox Cloak Lane Fred.k Boulton Same ./-

Proved at London 9th October 1834 before the Worshipful William Calverley Curtis doctor of Laws and Surrogate by the Oath of Ann West Spinster the Sister the sole Executrix to whom Administration was granted having been first sworn duly to administer.
Old 04-05-19, 21:53

Snap, Merry!