Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 17-04-19, 09:50

Default Eleanor or Ellen

I have a family with daughters born in the 1820s. Eleanor was baptised in 1823 and is not mentioned ever again. Ellen makes an appearance on the 1841 census with an estimated birth of 1826, no baptism can be found.

Ellen gets married and has birth years ranging from 1822-1826 on the census until she dies and her age puts her as born at 1823.

When I first looked at this family I made a note wondering if Ellen and Eleanor are one and the same person.

Looking at it again, I feel the same. Does anyone agree with me?
Old 17-04-19, 09:58
Administrator

Age 15 on the 1841 census means age 15-19 so it would be right if she was born in 1823. And Ellen and Eleanor are often seen as interchangeable names, also Helen. So yes, I would say it is the same person.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-04-19, 10:19

Thanks Kate.
Old 17-04-19, 10:38

Eleanor is a name which is in my tree quite a lot and they are always referred to as Ellen or Nellie after baptism!

OC
Old 18-04-19, 07:48

Thanks OC. I think it was a rookie lack of knowledge that didn't make me decide they were the same ages ago and now I'm doubting myself still. It would have been nice if she had managed to marry or died in her real name, just to eliminate any doubt.
Old 18-04-19, 08:22

Ellen would have been her real name. It would have been the vicar, insisting she had a "proper" name at her baptism.

Milly occurs frequently in my family. Vicars couldn't possibly sully their registers with that name, so some baptise the children as Amelia, others as Millicent. In one instance an elderly Millicent is recorded as Amelia. The women knew perfectly well who they were, it was only the authorities who confused the issue.
Old 18-04-19, 12:14

So it is a vicar conspiracy to confuse us even more. We can find the record but not be certain as they changed the names.

Almost as good as the census I saw the other day. My family were on it but the 3 houses next door were blank in the names, occupations etc but were marked as inhabited, so 3 families just failed to make the enumerators cut.