Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 07-03-19, 12:23

Are you named though? Sorry just being sure here.

I've gone back as far as I'm certain I've just not given Dad and his parents names and dates on the tree.
Old 07-03-19, 13:07
Administrator

Yes, I'm named too.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-03-19, 12:23

thanks.

I'll wait another day and see if giving partial details for my grandparents work. If not I'll delete all cookies and see.

I'm not going to be forced to put details of people online if I don't want to. Dad is still alive and while he wont care, I do.

Have to go. FMP have sent an email about new records and India and I need to read.
Old 08-03-19, 17:43

Toni I don't have this either.

I did think it was because my tree was private & none searchable/indexed so I changed a smallish tree going back several generations to searchable but still private. The Thru Lines still haven't appeared but reading comments on here it must be because I have myself and parents names as . . rather than actual names.
Old 09-03-19, 04:55

I find it odd though, the chances of being able to match a living person are a lot smaller than a few generations up the tree. Dad's mother appears in 1 other tree, his father in none but his maternal grandparents appear in more, even if there is not a direct relationship to them. It is just a way to make people put all details online.
Old 10-03-19, 04:14

So I caved and put in Dad's name and now have thrulines. I have a few things to investigate but have noticed something weird.

Thrulines lists all ancestors and if you click on them it shows if there are any matches who also have them as an ancestor however it has missed out one of Dad's great grandfathers and one 3g grandfather and I know there is at least one descendant of the 3g grandfather who had done a DNA test. I had expected to be told there were no matches for the great grandfather but I didn't get that, he just doesn't exist. I did get told there were no matches for Unknown, his 2g grandmother, so I'm finding it a bit odd and clearly the matching isn't exact yet. It also uses trees where there are no DNA matches for anyone who hasn't tried it yet.

However, I think one of my brickwalls may have the wrong wife so I am off to investigate. Hard to deny I'm wrong when there are DNA matches to a 5g grandfather I'm don't think exists.

For those who are like me and don't want to put names of living people try using a fake name. I think they just need a name to get it started.
Old 10-03-19, 19:14
Administrator

I haven't looked at my DNA matches stuff for over a month because I got dispirited with either not understanding things, others not having an online tree and not finding anything of any interest to me.

So, now I've looked at Thru Lines for the first time. I clicked on probably 20 of my direct ancestors and every single one I looked at told me there are two possible DNA matches and they are my two children. Hoorah! I already know I'm related to them!!

So, what am I doing wrong?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-03-19, 19:43
Administrator

Nothing, Merry. Half of those that I click on show me that I'm related to my Dad. I do have a few with other relatives on but I haven't found it much use so far.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-03-19, 19:54
Administrator

OK, thanks. I will try and be more systematic about going through them!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-03-19, 07:25

It depends if others have trees that overlap or are similar to yours. It shows those who share the same ancestors as you and can predict, using online trees, ancestors you don't have online. Some of my predictions are correct, or at least match what I have offline and haven't yet got around to putting online. One is totally incorrect but is based on the only 2 online trees available.

It is nice to have confirmation of my distant lines.

The only issue is that ancestry is having trouble working out relationships. My 2g grandfather has a brother and sister. It says the brother is my 3g uncle but the sister is only a half 3g aunt.

Last edited by Kit; 11-03-19 at 08:09.