Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-07-11, 10:17
tenterfieldjulie

Default Broad Lane, Altarnun, Cornwall

The family of Joseph and Anna Ford nee Bryant were at Broad Lane, Altarnun in the 1851 to 1881 Censuses. I believe it was near the Vicarage. I have not been able to find it on a modern map. There is a Broad Lane but it is a hamlet some miles from Altarnun. On the 1861 Census it appears I think after the Vicarage. Can anyone find it please?
Old 16-07-11, 10:36
Administrator

Are they called Bryant on the censuses? I spent ages looking on the 1861 for Fords but I couldn't see any and now I see Bryants on the 1851?

Looking at the description of enumeration district 1a on the 1851, it looks as though the Broad Lane where the Bryants are living would be a hamlet, because it's listed after loads of places beginning with Tre, and no street names listed.

description of enumeration district

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 16-07-11, 10:49
tenterfieldjulie

Kate, So sorry I got muddled, yes the family are the Bryants - Anna was nee Ford. Grrh sorry for your wasted time and effort. I also found a Broad Lane at one of the Tre..s, maybe it was on a later Census that I found them next to the Vicarage.
Back when the family were originally researched in the 1970s - Bill Lemin wrote in his dedication "My chief informant and friend in the picturesque country village of Altarnun, Cornwall, Miss Dorothy Climo without whose memory of the "Bryants of Broadlane, Altarnun", this story would have never been written, for she was the only person there who remembered them." Unfortunately, neither of them are still with us to ask if it was it in the village or outside the village. A cousin toured the village and couldn't find it and I wondered if was only a small lane that disappeared. Then when you look how it is spelt by Bill you wonder if it was one word, but I think it is two in the Census.
Old 16-07-11, 10:52
Administrator

On the 1851 census, Altarnun vicarage is on a page where the "Name of village" box at the top is filled in as Altarnun, but on the page where the Bryants are, it isn't filled in, so it does look to me as though Broad Lane was a hamlet of its own, not a lane in the village.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 16-07-11, 14:34
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Kate that is excellent.