Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-07-11, 19:15

Default Joshua Beckitt

Good Evening,

I am trying to locate the baptism of my great x 4 grandfather Joshua Beckitt. I have found a possible option but I am not sure how I can prove or disprove if its mine or not.

Joshua appears on the 1841 and 1851 census in Sheffield at Carr Street. On the 51 census he states his birth place is Manchester. He died in 1854 in Sheffield. He married in Sheffield in 1813 and all his children were born Sheffield.

I have found an online apprentice cutler record for Joshua Beckitt in 1808 for Sheffield. It stated he was the son of John Beckitt, Cast Iron Founder.

All references to Joshua's age point to him being born aprox 1792/3.

The only baptism I can locate of a Joshua Beckitt around this time is one who was baptised in Stockport, Cheshire on the 31st March 1793 (from IGI). Stockport isnt too far from Manchester, but a fair distance all the same. This Joshua's parents were given as John & Ann.

I have looked at a Sheffield Church burial disk I have which partly covers the Cathedral and there are two burials on there of a John & Ann Beckett, both of the same address and they died in 1813 and 1814. John's occupation was given as Cast Iron Founder.

I am really hoping to somehow prove the the John & Ann who are buried at the Cathedral are Joshua's parents and also they are the same John, Ann & Joshua on the baptism record at Stockport.

I know this may be clutching at straws but does anyone have any suggestions to how I might take this forward?

Many thanks in advance
Claire
Old 12-07-11, 19:21
Administrator

Have you tried to see whether John and / or Ann left a will?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-07-11, 19:30

No, Kite, I hadnt thought of looking for a will for either of them. I can never remember how to look in to this. Do I need to contact somewhere in Sheffield?
Old 12-07-11, 21:56
Administrator

You could look on the Index to Death Duty Registers on findmypast and see if there is an entry for either of them on there.

It looks as though most Sheffield wills are at the Borthwick Institute in York, more info on here:
http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/librarie...robate-records

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-07-11, 05:33

30 miles away ??
Joshua Beckett christened 7th may 1794 in Dewsbury,Yorkshire,England
although christened 1794 , he may have been born late 1793 ??...

just an option to look at
allan
ADDED...forget that...parents Thomas and Elizabeth....sorry to mislead you...still not awake yet ...lol
Old 13-07-11, 07:43

Morning All,

I've just taken a look at find my past and realised that my credits have ran out for the site and I dont have a sub to check the death duty registers Looks like I will need to wait until payday before I can buy some credits as I cant afford the sub on top of my Ancestry Worldwide one

Many thanks for the link Kite, I will keep that on the rare chance that either this John & Ann did leave a will.

Allan, I had noticed the Dewsbury baptism too but I am pretty confident that is not my Joshua. It doesnt match any of the vague information I know about Joshua; however, that hasnt stopped someone on Ancestry adding that baptism to their tree.

Thanks again for taking the time to look.

Claire