Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-07-11, 20:54

Well that has astounded me...that address...when I was 16 I attended Walton Technical College ...50 yards up from Everton Brow...and we used to pass the house where Henry Morton Stanley.the Explorer (Dr Livingstone I presume )lived in Everton Brow ...I would say he lived in about 15 Everton Brow...SO I HAVE JUST GOOGLED Henry Stanley....
and he was born JOHN ROWLANDS.in Denbigh....and came to Liverpool as a boy...always thought he was born in Liverpool..so how did John Rowlands become Henry Morton Stanley ??....sorry to go off track Kopite...but as a scouser I presume you would be interested as well ....Stanley Park and Stanley Road are named after him ...anyway...he was a neighbour of John Hallowell...lol
ADDED...as a cabin boy in 1859 he landed in New Orleans on a ship from Liverpool and a rich cotton merchant Henry Hope Stanley took him in and became his surrogate father...so now I know

Last edited by garstonite; 13-07-11 at 21:03.
Old 13-07-11, 20:55

Jacky...when we meet on Tuesday...I`m gonna wear an Everton shirt....just for you...lol
Old 13-07-11, 20:57

Old 14-07-11, 19:52

Alan,
Very interesting stuff about Mr. Stanley, I remember reading about he lived off Scotland Road for a short period.
I have just looked at a 1906 o/s map for the Liverpool North area, it is very possible the Everton Brow address may be right as it is not that far from the Bevington House.
This was the address given on his death cert in the hospital.
Thank you for help gang.