Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-07-11, 05:20
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Janet. Probably walked there. I remember we got off a cable car and walked miles in the wrong direction to our hotel.... wouldn't like to do it today .. don't think the pulse rate would every slow down.
Old 12-07-11, 06:32
Administrator

I've been looking at the one in England. Found a married man (m 8 yrs) in 1911 but living in Stockport which ain't Northumberland! He may have died in Stockport in the 1940s (see FreeBMD), but there are also deaths right age in Co Durham and Sunderland which are also not Northumberland, but are nearer!! Not sure if those people are on the 1911 census though.

Have you checked John isn't still in Ireland in 19901/11?? (Kate's looks a good match though because of birthplace)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-07-11, 08:13
tenterfieldjulie

Think the boys left home as soon as possible, according to their niece. The farm struggled to support the family and I don't think there was work in Ireland. I think the death at Sunderland sounds most likely. As I recall the niece was definite about the uncle in the States, but hesitated about the one in UK - I think she said something like the North of England and then Northumberland - which could have come from North of England - Sunderland and mixed the two - Northumberland!! Thanks for your help everyone. Wonder if I can get to Sunderland ...
Old 12-07-11, 09:00
Administrator

If the married one in Stockport isn't the one (because he may be the man who also died there), then I tried the 1911 census for unmarried possibilites.

There are only two the right age and one of those said b County Mayo, so I ignored him. The other one is a boarder at 1 Willoughby Street, Gainsborough, Lincs (so, not really the right area but he had a couple of decades to get to Sunderland!)

He is aged 43 single gen labourer b Ireland Sligo. His name is spelled McDonald, but I guess that could be a mistake by the householder, James Brocklesby, who was a bricklayer. (they had two irish boarders, but the other one is from Clonmel which is in Co. Tipperary)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-07-11, 09:07
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Merry. Will keep them on file. I wonder if I got the death cert for the one who dies in Sunderland, would it help? I suppose if it had the right info.. but then English certs don't give parents do they?
Old 12-07-11, 09:42
Administrator

No, I'm not sure if the cert would help too much unless the informant was his widow or child, suggesting it might be the wrong cert!! it might be difficult to prove you have the right cert.