Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 06-03-10, 19:47

Thanks Kate.

I did wonder if that was him Maggie but it says ASHON on the actual census so I guess I'll never know from that. I need to get to see the parish records and find his baptism I think, to find his parents' names.
Old 07-03-10, 08:11
maggie_4_7

Do you know the person that corrected the name? Have you contacted them through ancestry?
Old 07-03-10, 14:22

err, no and no! I never thought of that lol.

Off to have a look now.
Old 07-03-10, 14:32

have sent a message to the corrector Maggie. Oddly, their name doesn't come up in my ancestry hints for Richard.
Old 07-03-10, 14:46
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Knees View Post
have sent a message to the corrector Maggie. Oddly, their name doesn't come up in my ancestry hints for Richard.
Well I am thinking why did they correct it and who are they and are they connected to Richard and they may have some more info for you.

But at least why have they corrected it and how do they know? It might be nothing but I don't expect someone to correct a name unless they know something!
Old 07-03-10, 15:35

I've had a reply. This was my question:

I see you have corrected an entry on the 1841 census in Pewsey. The person is listed and transcribed as Richard ASHON and you have corrected to Richard ASHTON.

I am unable to find my GG GF Richard Ashton (who was bc1822) on the 1841 and wonder if this could be him. He served for many years in the 54th foot, including in India.

Please could you tell me what is it that made you list the correction?

Thanks
Rose

and this is the reply:

My 3xgreat grandfather was David Ashton born c1773 in Wiltshire. From his navy records it shows that he was originately pressed into the navy. It just gives his place of birth as Wiltshire. He died 1846 in Hampton, Middlesex so I was unable to find his town of birth on the 1851 census.

I was searching for any other Ashton's about the same age born in Wiltshire. That is how I came across Richard and his father and did the alteration to match other records.

Regards

Guess I need to ask "what other records?" lol
Old 07-03-10, 16:33
maggie_4_7

Yes you do.

People are so weird I get those vague replies or even first contact messages they never explain anything in their messages that make any sense.

I assume they're confident 'other records' are correct

'Richard and HIS father'!

On that census it has a lady called Sarah which I assume is this Richard's mother or at least a female relative!

Anyway good luck could be a wild goose chase on the other hand the contact may have good info that they are not aware they have

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 07-03-10 at 19:56. Reason: to change to genderless!
Old 07-03-10, 19:51

my correspondent also made this correction which I suppose she could be referring to. Richard, parents and about a dozen other children lol.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/...&ln=Ashon&st=g

I notice she doesn't say 'MY other records'. I shall ask.
Old 07-03-10, 19:54
maggie_4_7

ooops I referred to your contact as HE don't know why I thought it was a man! I'll correct my post.

Well that name is clearly Ashon as well perhaps the enumerator for that area had an aversion to 'Ts' or the name is spelt correctly and it is your lot and the name acquired a T some time down the line or its a totally different family!

Hope you get some clear info from the contact

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 07-03-10 at 20:00.
Old 07-03-10, 20:00

not to worry maggie lol.

Off to watch larksrise now but my contact maybe correct in her correction as ther is this on BMD

Births Jun 1839 (>99%)
Ashton Abraham Pewsey 8 400 Scan available - click to view

Tags
to2g8