Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 19-09-12, 19:59

Re: The will with the many Joseph Roes.

This is from an account of Hampshire blacksmiths

ROE John (Jnr) Blacksmith
John Roe (Jnr), born 1816. Wife Susannah Freemantle. Their son John,born 1845 married to Elizabeth nee Blandy went on to own 2 breweries and properties in Whitchurch.(including the Red House pub, which is still functioning as a public house and the interior is still very 19th century!).Test lodge in Houghton, and a brewery and adjoining house ""Cleveland house"" in Stockbridge. All this started from lots of hard graft and the proceeds from a small blacksmith's business. Most of the breweries and propery were sold in 1928 and the proceeds sorted between his large family of siblings and children.I would love to know where the smithy's forge was in Houghton but cannot find any maps with this on.

ROE John (Snr) Blacksmith, builder and Brewer
John Roe (Snr), born 1786. A blacksmith in Houghton nr Stockbridge Hants. His father Joseph left the business to him and together he with his son John (Jnr) born 1816, continued with the business. See entry for Joseph Roe.

ROE Joseph Blacksmith
Joseph Roe, born circa 1750 and his son John born 1786 were both blacksmiths in Houghton, nr Stockbridge Hants. Although Joseph had a large family of 7 he left his business to John, who together with his son John, born 1816, and married to Susannah Freemantle,and later, their son John,b.1845 married to Elizabeth, nee Blandy went on to own 2 breweries and properties in Whitchurch.
Old 20-09-12, 08:39

Thank you Kite & Shona. So much information to digest!

As you have both found, there were many Joseph Ro(w)es in Houghton and Stockbridge. The one Shona found in the census is too young to be 'my' Joseph, although 'my' Joseph did have a daughter Mary.

Re post #6 - that Joseph looks interesting, as there was a son John baptised with parents John & Martha in 1764 in Houghton, but I didn't have a son Joseph for them. 'My' Joseph had a brother John, who is my 4x G grandfather on my maternal grandfather's side.

There were Blacksmiths in the family (I think). I need to check my notes and my FTM to see who they were. I'll do that later today hopefully.

The baptisms I have of Joseph and his brother John were from the Hampshire baptisms from HGS, kindly found for me by a member on another site.

I have only seen a transcription of Joseph & Lucy's marriage, but it states he is 'b' and she is 's'. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...pshire&indiv=1

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 20-09-12, 09:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley Vale Sue View Post
As you have both found, there were many Joseph Ro(w)es in Houghton and Stockbridge. The one Shona found in the census is too young to be 'my' Joseph, although 'my' Joseph did have a daughter Mary.
Sorry, Sue, I'm a bit confused with all these Josephs - how do you know that the one in the census is too young to be your Joseph, please?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 20-09-12, 11:00

Is his date of birth assumed from the typed transcript of his marriage, where it states he is 30?. The groom in the next entry is also 30. It may be a transcription error.
Old 20-09-12, 12:35
Administrator

If he was 30 when he got married in 1800, then the census entries you found are the right ages, aren't they, Shona? I think the 1769 baptism looks likely.

Old 20-09-12, 12:48

I was wondering if a mistransription was the reason for the differing dates of birth. But the age when Joseph Roe married and the supporting evidence of the census seem to indicate that the birth date originally given needs to be looked at again. With all those Joseph's in the same area, it's easy to turn down the wrong road!
Old 20-09-12, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Sorry, Sue, I'm a bit confused with all these Josephs - how do you know that the one in the census is too young to be your Joseph, please?
I have a baptism for Joseph 26 July 1761 with parents John & Catherine.
Looking at it again though I agree he could be the wrong one .

I don't think I have much hope of finding out if this is the correct Joseph or not, there were just too many of them with brothers named John.

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 20-09-12, 17:03

You have the correct marriage record. As he was 30, that gives a date of birth of c1770.

There is a baptism record for Joseph Roe for 26 Dec 1789 - son of Joseph and Martha Roe.

It also fits in with the age of Joseph Roe in the 1851 census.

I reckon he's the one.
Old 20-09-12, 18:05
Administrator

You mean 1769, don't you Shona?

Old 20-09-12, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
You mean 1769, don't you Shona?
1769, yes.

Tags