Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 19-11-15, 06:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Kate's link worked for me, Janet, but I have a brain blockage when it comes to facebook! Anyway, I've just posted my query in very polite terms! This is what I said:
I think it will work as long as you're in the UK. It was just that they had redirected me to the U.S. site without making that really clear. But I doped it out!

I think you were admirably controlled in your explanation of their foibles, Merry.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 19-11-15, 07:08
Administrator

Quote:
Have they somehow removed the piece and tem numbers from the urls too now?
Yes, they did that a couple of days ago.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-11-15, 07:17
Administrator

lol Janet.

Kate - t seems they didn't really think this through before they released the database. What's the point of giving search boxes for the Piece and Item numbers if we don't now know them?!! (perhaps those search fields have gone too? I've not looked at it in the last couple of days)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-11-15, 07:50
Administrator

Quote:

Kate - t seems they didn't really think this through before they released the database. What's the point of giving search boxes for the Piece and Item numbers if we don't now know them?!! (perhaps those search fields have gone too? I've not looked at it in the last couple of days)
The boxes are still on the search screen. I think they put them in so that people who had previously ordered a Register entry using the Freedom of Information requests system could easily find the same household using the reference numbers, but I agree they can't have thought it through as it should have been obvious that if they were displaying the reference numbers on their preview screen, people would use them to search!

Old 19-11-15, 08:48
Administrator

Good point about the Freedom of Information requests.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-11-15, 09:28
Administrator

Ooh, they've posted a reply saying they have passed it to their Data Team for correction!

Old 19-11-15, 16:44
Administrator

Ooh, I'm at parents evening at the mo, but will look when I get back

Old 19-11-15, 22:28
Administrator

Three times I posted a reply to their reply - the first two times the reply vanished whilst I was looking at the TV!

Old 20-11-15, 05:58
Administrator

I don't suppose fmp will reply again to my posts on the same topic, so I'm just adding here what is probably the end of the conversation in case I can't find it again (my laptop doesn't like scrolling the facebook visitor messages box one bit)

fmp's reply to me (my original comment is in post #49, above):

Hi Sarah. We’ve been able to replicate this issue so we have gone ahead and passed the details to our Data Team for correction. If you have unlocked a household, you can view the transcriptions for the other members of the household at no extra cost. This doesn’t apply to other households under the same reference number.

and my response:

Thank you for passing on the information to the Data team.

It's disappointing that when a household is unlocked the transcriptions for other households on the page are not made available - I would understand it if the other households on the page were hidden from view, but they are not.

Old 20-11-15, 06:34
Administrator

It's now really bugging me that my grandparents home seems to be on the 1939 register three times. I've purchased the Redshaw household which is actually my Clark household. The second household consists of one closed record and one person who has no name transcribed. The third household has two closed records and one person with no name transcribed.

I've just realised that on page 1616A/006 there are 40 transcribed records and by the time I'd finished mucking about with the names etc I'd lost track of the fact that there are only 36 visible names on the page. There's one crossed through person and three non-existent entries which fmp have transcribed as ----- ---- ----.

So, goodness knows where the alternative versions of my grandparents home would lead if I had a pot of money to spare!