Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 17-10-12, 21:14

Must admit I struggled - again!

I did stick with it, but once again it was all far too centred on the celebrity to be of general interest I felt, especially from a Family Research view point.

Certainly I think many Jamaicans probably want to know their roots - just like we do over here - but this was all too specific.

I think the series perhaps needs renaming to Celebrities' Historical Biographies

Researching Gillett in Preston/Sheffield and Campbell and Wilkie and Hepburn in and around Glasgow
Old 17-10-12, 21:19
borobabs

Agree with Dorothy , I got past it about 25 mins before it ended and went up my own tree
Old 17-10-12, 22:45

I wanted to know more about Stephen Hill. How he became such a senior journalist.
Old 18-10-12, 07:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Another one in this series that failed to hold my attention I'm afraid.

OC
Ditto
Old 18-10-12, 08:14
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I wanted to know more about Stephen Hill. How he became such a senior journalist.
Me too and some of the FH of the Hill family.

I did sit through it all and it was interesting on one level but to be frank as FH program I was bored with this one, I kept hoping they would go a further back a lot further back.
Old 18-10-12, 08:22
Administrator

I reckon that John's mum could have told him everything that he found out in this episode - he said at the beginning that she had told him lots of stuff when he was younger but he hadn't listened!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-10-12, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I reckon that John's mum could have told him everything that he found out in this episode - he said at the beginning that she had told him lots of stuff when he was younger but he hadn't listened!
Or Prof Hill...

A true son of Jamaica, Professor Robert Hill was educated at St. George’s College in Kingston, the University of London, the University of Toronto and then to the University of the West Indies, Mona, where he obtained a Masters Degree in Political Science in. His thesis focused on Marcus Garvey’s Political Activities in Jamaica between 1927 and 1935.

Professor Hill’s interest in the subject of Garvey provided him with an analytical framework for his quest to redress what he identified as the “lack of a substantive sense of national loyalty in Jamaica” during the pre-Independence period. Professor Hill describes himself as a lifelong student of the Garvey movement. His keen interest in Garvey and his work was initiated by his late uncles, Frank Augustus Hill, a renowned journalist and labour activist; and Ken Hill, the then Mayor of the City of Kingston, whose responsibilities facilitated his exposure to Garveyites in Jamaica. The effects of these encounters led Professor Hill to conclude, “Garveyism is not just a set of beliefs. It is an ethos in the conduct of life”.
Old 18-10-12, 09:17

Plus there are loads of books on Jamaican history that mention the 'famous Hill family of political activists'.
Old 18-10-12, 09:34

And here's another member of the family he could have asked:

JASON HILL, a Jamaican who is assistant professor of philosophy at Southern Illinois University in the United States, has produced an impressive study on how human beings can take on a new personality through greater awareness of the power of the mind in rising above inhibiting constraints of race, colour and nationality.

Dr. Hill is a member of a well-known Jamaican family. He is the grandson of Frank Hill, of journalism, politics and trade union fame. His father is the former Reverend Phillip Hill, now known as Blessed St. John of Jesus. Another member of the family is Professor Robert Hill, son of Frank Hill's younger brother, Stephen, and himself a scholar and man of letters, noted for his research work on National Hero Marcus Garvey.
Old 18-10-12, 09:56

I'm afraid I turned off after 20 minutes. very boring.