Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 12-05-14, 09:18

Default Childrens Homes

I've just had a notification of this new website. I haven't had a chance to look at it properly and it seems records are being added. Quite informative from what I've seen.

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 12-05-14, 14:38

What a wealth of information, Sue. At first I started to pass on by, thinking it probably had nothing to do with my family, but now that I start to browse the website I see that first of all there are an awful lot of these homes, and even a quick glance shows me that they're in virtually all the places where my relatives were living, and the information about these institutions and the places where they were located casts a lot of light on those communities. So thank you!

Janet (Niagara)
Old 13-05-14, 16:11

Thank you Sue. My husband's maternal grandfather was sent to an Industrial school when his father re-married and his step mother didn't want the children that came with the marriage! I'd like to find out more avbout his early years. He did well though, was given a good education and went on to train as a Sugar Boiler, (sweet maker) He was the man who it is reputed to have invented the recipe for Jesmona Black Bullets. Instead of patenting it he took a life pension from the firm and gave them the recipe when he retired.