Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 25-04-19, 19:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Oh, and just to make the day perfect, it sounds as if FMP is throwing open our trees to the world unless we opt out.
Where have you seen that, please, Phoenix?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 25-04-19, 20:07

I had an email, Kate.

"We’re about to implement a pretty exciting change and thought you should know in advance.

From 1 July, the deceased ancestors in everyone’s trees will become shareable. Which means other members may receive hints about the dead ancestors in your tree. They’ll only be shared between members who have common ancestry – likely, a distant relative. Making family-tree building a more conducive, collaborative experience.

Your privacy is of the utmost importance... Therefore, any information on you or your living relatives will remain private. Equally, no-one else will be able to edit your ancestors’ details or see your tree – just you. So you’ll remain completely in control.

This change is totally optional – if you don't want your ancestors to be shared, just follow the instructions in our FAQs before 1 July. We’ll send you a friendly reminder before that day, just in case.

In the meantime, feel free to have a look at our updated privacy policy.

Best regards,

The Findmypast Team"
Old 25-04-19, 22:33
Administrator

Thanks, Elizabeth. I would have thought they should make it "opt-in" rather than "opt-out". And I'm not sure about this: "They’ll only be shared between members who have common ancestry". Wouldn't you be able to put anybody you like as your ancestor to see who has them in their tree? They can't easily check whether that person really is your ancestor, can they?

Old 26-04-19, 03:56

I like your email more than mine. This is all I got:

We’ve updated our privacy policy to accommodate tree-to-tree hinting which, for members with family trees, kicks off from 1 July. Here’s a quick summary of what’s changed:
• We’ve clarified how we use historical records and your right to deletion (section 7A)
• We’ve expanded our list of communications to include tree hints (3B)
• We’ve included how we share The Tree data with our new sister site RootsFinder and updated details about how The Tree functions (Section 6)
• We’ve added greater detail about the default settings for tree and how to delete a tree (Section 6)
• We’ve added what it means to share deceased ancestors on your Family Tree (Section 6). These changes to sharing settings will take effect from 1 July
If you’d like to explore this in a bit more detail, take a look at our privacy policy page.
Old 26-04-19, 07:42
maggie_4_7

I got an email too but I don't have a tree on there. I only ocassionally get a month's sub when I need to get some images.
Old 26-04-19, 10:13
Administrator

I did get the same email as Elizabeth, but I hadn't checked my emails when I saw this thread.

Interesting to see RootsFinder mentioned in your email, Toni. I hadn't heard of it and didn't know that FMP was going to be sharing tree data with it, though I assume they mean from their "world tree" rather than from individual family trees.

Old 27-04-19, 03:44

I'm finding it all a bit strange. Why did I not get the email that the rest of you received and vice versa? Mine is just the privacy policy updates.

I have a tree on there but think I'll delete it. I thought the hints might come in useful but they don't work unless I access them as soon as the email saying I have new hints comes in.
Old 29-04-19, 04:49

FMP sent me the same email you got, Toni.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 30-04-19, 18:42

I'm bracing myself for more updates as Ancestry won't let me in at all at the moment.
Old 30-04-19, 19:11
Administrator

There is a message at the top of the page at the moment:
Note: You may be experiencing some intermittent service with the Ancestry.co.uk website. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause and appreciate your patience as we work to resolve the problem as quickly as possible.