Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History Stories

Old 12-03-10, 15:51

Rachel, I love that photo!

Alan, perhaps your grandad thought your mum was a DELightful daughter. If it was his pet name for her I'm sure it was something nice that prompted it.

My board name is what my mum always used to call me. I hated it as a little girl but as I got older used to love it, and the way she always introduced me as 'and this is my baby' as I was the youngest.
Old 12-03-10, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Knees View Post
Rachel, I love that photo!

Me too It's become one of my favourites and I still can't figure out just how she got pussy to stay there. Tiddly little photos are no longer overlooked ~ they often have hidden depths

The dog's name was Jack ~ he's mentioned in one of gt gran's letters but she doesn't say who Jack might have been and I puzzled over his identity for ages. Mystery solved phew
Old 13-03-10, 21:50

My grandmother had an aunt who she called "Aunt Polly Em". Her name was Emily Esther and she was called Aunt Polly because she had a parrot!!!!
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 14-03-10, 11:30

My family seem to mainly have stuck to the names they were born with, apart from the usual Nell(ie)s for Ellen & Helen(a), Great Uncle Jack who was really John and my Dad. He was named Edward Roy, but always known as Roy because, although Grandma named him after her 'baby' brother who was killed in WW1 two and a half years before Dad was born, she couldn't bear to call her baby by her brother's name. Oh yes, almost forgot about Dad's younger brother William who was always known as Flip!

OH had a Great Aunt Cissie who's daughter was also Cissie. They were known as Big Cissie & Little Cissie! Big Cissie was really Elizabeth, but I've no idea what Little Cissie's real name was!

Just before Christmas I went to visit my 99 year old Great Aunt (Uncle John/Jack's widow) and her son had a photo album with photos of my Great Great Grandparents, his Great Grandparents, in. I'd never even seen photos of my Great Grandfather, who died in 1937, let alone his parents. My cousin once removed promised me copies, but they haven't materialised yet. He isn't very computer literate but luckily his children have an interest in the family history and hopefully they will scan & email me some copies. I'll have to write a 'threatening' letter otherwise or go to his house & 'steal' the album
I remember one of the photos shows my Great Grandparents, with some of their children including my Grandad, in 1911 outside the house they were living in when the census was taken. The house is long since demolished, but it really made it real to see what it, and they, looked like almost 100 years ago.

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 19-03-10, 07:30

Phoenix I understand how knowing what someone was known as may make them seem real but knowing someone was called Bill will not help you trace their family.

When I started Mum would talk about Uncle Jack or Uncle John etc. I did some research and went back to her saying I can't work out where your Uncle's fit into this family. She'd have a look and say that Martin there, he was Uncle Jack married to ... There was no relation to their name.

Of all the uncles she talked about only one had a name that was similar to their actual name.
Old 19-03-10, 14:06

But I've done that bit of it, Kit. I have a line of James Broomfield. Five of them. They all had sons called James, William & George. There's not a stivver of difference between them but the names of their wives. And that isn't family history anymore, it's just genealogy.

I still don't know why Uncle William was called George & Uncle George Joey, and I haven't a clue which of my Dad's cousins was Jock. But it is the sort of detail, like photos, that you are only likely to find within the family, so much more precious than censuses or certificates as it can so easily be lost forever.
Old 19-03-10, 17:22

I had some detective work to do the other way round, finding the "real" names of Gypsy (Florence Campbell Crisp) and Darkie (William James Crisp).

I also had the pleasure of being given a little ragged piece of newspaper which contained the marriage announcement of my great grandmother which gave both her given name and nickname of Queenie.
Old 20-03-10, 02:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I still don't know why Uncle William was called George & Uncle George Joey, and I haven't a clue which of my Dad's cousins was Jock.
You have me wondering. I wonder if Mum knows why they were called Jack or John?
Old 27-03-10, 16:59

We've got all sorts of funny little names for various different family members.

My gg grandparents were called Old Man and Old Woman by the family

GG aunties have all sorts of funny nick names (Bussie - because she wore a bussle, Flick Eye because she winked at people, Kittens because she liked cats and Dushie (although noone knows why!).

Other nick names include - Dick (for someone called Harry), Cooz (for someone called Tom), Bunty (for a William).
Old 27-03-10, 23:07

I've got several people in my tree with pet names & nicknames but the best find was my great great grandfather's death notice in the paper, George Hall better known as Grieves. His mother wasn't married when he was born but the Grieves on the death notice lead me to finding his birth, then his mother's 1st, 2nd & 3rd marriages!