Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 30-12-18, 14:55
Administrator

A footnote in this book says that Theodore was a Fellow of Trinity 1842-1882, which would fit nicely with the 1882 death:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ege%22&f=false

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-12-18, 15:01
Administrator

Theodore's brother Alfred Preston died in October 1882:
http://www.winslow-history.org.uk/wi...s-preston.shtm

The probate entry for Theodoro Preston was administration with the will attached, probably meaning that no named executor could or would fulfil the role, so I wonder whether he had named Alfred as executor?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-12-18, 17:09
Administrator

The entry in the National Probate Calendar for Theodore's father (Matthew Morris Preston d Apr 1858) says that Theodore was 'of Shelford, Cambridgeshire', so the same place Alice may have been born!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 30-12-18, 18:00
Administrator

I am pretty sure that we have all the right people tied together with your help.

Reading about Mathew Morris PRESTON, he seems to be a very uptight/upright clergyman with firm ideas, I wonder if Theo's problem is that he found it difficult to live with himself, or if he was escaping his family!

Thanks for your help. It is actually one of his brothers that I am researching, but Theo is much more interesting!

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 30-12-18, 19:06
Administrator

Quote:
It is actually one of his brothers that I am researching
Is that Alfred (ordained the same day as Theodore)? His photo looks a pretty cheerless individual!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-12-18, 00:27
Administrator

I got so caught up with Theodore I forgot who I was really interested in, it was not one of the PRESTONs, but Theodore's brother in law Ernest William WILSON.

I started on Ernest thinking he had a rather boring name, but all the clergy relatives tumbling out of the woodwork have made him rather fun!

and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 31-12-18, 08:59
Administrator

You may have this already (and if not, the last part should keep you busy for ages!! lol):

Essex Standard 06 December 1854

Nov. 30th, at Over Worton Church, in the county of Oxford, by the Rev. Wm. Wilson, Vicar of Banbury, Ernest William Wilson, Esq., to Eliza Jane Preston, daughter of the Rev. M.M. Preston, Vicar of Cheshunt, Herts.

and then from Wikipedia re Over Worton…

In the 1840s the curate was William Wilson, an evangelical whose family had owned the manor of Over Worton since 1799. In the 1840s Wilson had the medieval church demolished and the present Church of England parish church of the Holy Trinity built in its place. It is a Gothic revival building, designed by the architect JM Derick and completed in 1844. The north tower was added in 1849 and has two bells.

Imagine knocking down a medieval church these days!!

The parents of Ernest (evangelical William and his wife Mary - names from his baptism at Walthamstow, Essex) appear on the 1851 census at Over Worton. They lived at Worton House.

There is also this William Wilson who died at Worton House in 1821 who had someone from Clapham in London conduct his burial (bottom of left page):

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...nSearchResults

Note that immediately above his burial is the burial of another William Wilson aged 4 who died at Islington, but was brought to Over Worton for burial (and was buried by William Wilson, presumably Ernest's father). The parents are helpfully given as Rev. Danl and Ann Wilson.

I found the bap of this child, (helpfully transcribed by Ancestry as surname Wilbon!):

St Andrews, Holborn, London

19 Dec 1816 William, son of Daniel and Ann Wilson, Chapel St, Bedford Row, occ Clerk, baptism conducted by D Wilson, minister of St John's Chapel

The William who died aged 64 in 1821 left a will:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...cklabel=Return

He mentions lots of relatives and about half way down page 2 he has a son, William Wilson, who may well be Ernest's father. Halfway down page 3 he mentions a grandson, Daniel Wilson, (son of his daughter Ann Wilson - surely not an illegitimate grandson Maybe daughter Ann was married to a Wilson relation?!!).

A few pages later (lol many?! Document page number 435) he mentions a different Daniel (a son-in-law) - I think this one is the Daniel whose son died age 4 in 1821. He is the husband of William's daughter Ann and so father of the other Daniel previously mentioned in the will.

The will was written in Aug 1819 (plenty of cash and property to dole out). It extends to 23 pages!! I read the first three pages, but after that, just scanned it for names! I'm sure this family also have a large number of clerics!

EDIT I just looked for the marriage of Rev Daniel Wilson and Ann Wilson which took place in 1803 at St Lawrence Jewry in the City of London. Plenty of info on the marriage entry (below). I see Ann was 'of Milk Street', which was her father's former address on his 1819 will.

Clearly I should be doing housework right now, so I'd better leave this. They do seem quite interesting though! Pity about the common surname!

Old 31-12-18, 09:16
Administrator

I saw an obit for the son-in-law, Daniel, North Devon Journal 11 February 1858, but it's too long to transcribe. It's definitely the same person as it says he married Ann Wilson dau of William in 1803.

Here's the Wikipedia entry for the same man which covers some of the obit info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Wilson_(bishop)

Old 31-12-18, 09:21
Administrator

O there's a better bio on Ancestry -

Says he married his cousin, dau of his uncle, William Wilson.

Old 31-12-18, 16:29
Administrator

Thanks Merry, I had not found the Bishop! Even more clergy tumbling out! And on the Wilson side now!

I had been side tracked by the Prestons!

The really interesting bit for me, is that surrounded by evangelicals on all sides, Ernest William was Anglo-Catholic, attending the 1921 Anglo-Catholic Congress, which is my study interest.

I will now add all your finds!

Thanks heaps.

(Marcel Proust)

Christine