Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 26-11-18, 11:06

Default Lost Cousins newsletter - late Nov 2018

https://www.lostcousins.com/newslett...dnov18news.htm
Old 26-11-18, 11:12
Administrator

I was interested to see the table showing the chances of detecting a DNA match at various degrees of cousinship, as I had been wondering about that very question last night. It seems to drop off a lot between 4th cousin and 5th cousin and then goes down a lot at each level after that.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 26-11-18, 13:04

I was interested to follow the link to the article about the man who has fathered at least 200 children. Rarely have I read a more depressing example of human selfishness and greed of all concerned in this story, (apart from the children born of this fiasco of course).

OC
Old 01-12-18, 04:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I was interested to see the table showing the chances of detecting a DNA match at various degrees of cousinship, as I had been wondering about that very question last night. It seems to drop off a lot between 4th cousin and 5th cousin and then goes down a lot at each level after that.
This made me very depressed. I have been looking for my father's Sussex ancestors for years and years, and hoped that having his DNA tested might help, as I have never found any of his proven ancestors in anyone else's ancestry (or other for that matter) trees. No such wonderful DNA match has appeared, of course.

I am going back to the drawing board with them - I am going to search and eliminate everyone of else of the same name and hunt down the remainder. I am going to try to go down every line of descent and chase up every Ancestry member with a name in their tree. Someone must KNOW something, to either confirm or eliminate my theories.

Maybe if I can find some facts, or even suppositions, we can get someone to compare DNA with !