Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 17-01-19, 20:11

Thanks Janet.

I hope it helps others with understanding what to do with all those DNA matches.

As very few people seem to answer Ancestry messages or link a tree to their sample, or even have an Ancestry tree at all, it seems the only way to use the information.

I have two promising Matches for Dad - his Sussex ancestors have given me lots of problems, so I was hoping for matches which would point out families to investigate.

Already I have been able to work out the family tree of the only Tupper match which shows we have the right Tupper family.

Di
Old 18-01-19, 11:59

Thanks Janet - that did help!

I do have Excel but it wanted to open the file in Photo Viewer which Windows 10 doesn't support. I've now unzipped it using something called "10 Zip RAR archiver" which seems to come as standard as I've never downloaded (as far as I know!)

I'm now studying the spreadsheet to see if I could get it to work with my DNA matches. I've had two attempts using the method I posted earlier but couldn't get my head round it. Maybe using Di's as a reference tool will help.

Thanks to both of you!
Old 19-01-19, 08:57

I can't open them as I don't have a zip program.

I'll have to google for a free program
Old 19-01-19, 09:05

Google said to open with Windows or file explorer, and then the excel or word document is available to see. Then we can just double click and it opens.

Not having matches or anything to look at of my own, this seems very complicated. I think I have an understanding of what you are doing but it needs to be put into practice.

Last edited by Kit; 19-01-19 at 09:10.
Old 19-01-19, 22:18

Hi Toni

Yes I think you are right. It is hard to understand when you look at someone's else family. When you get your results, you will see what needs doing.

I think the best result has been my daughters - its much more evenly spread over the families - too many of my Dad's matches come from the same family - now I have worked my way down the list there are over 40 over them.

That's cool that so many of the family have been tested, but that family has no mysteries and only three of them have any links to the maternal lines I want to research.

Di
Old 31-01-19, 22:04

So I was a bit bored yesterday and expanded my Leeds Colour Chart for my Dad's DNA matches.

My 3xgreat grandfather had 6 children, 4 of whom settled in Australia. I grouped and coloured the DNA matches by the children, where I know or could find them by research.

I have 11 matches who are descendants of Edmund (my 2xg gf), 6 for Henry, 4 for Elizabeth and just one for Alfred.

Plus another 15 or so who are clearly closely related to them but I cannot work out which one from the information available.

So far no trees or information available to check for descendants of John or George (who stayed in England).

Those who are identified as Edmund's descendants, they come from 4 of his 10 children, so there is lots of research to do there. I stopped when I had listed 80 matches !

There are only a two who show matches with others who could be related to Dad's paternal grandmother and great grandmothers - though these will be restricted by the women being the only one of their siblings to have children.

On Dad's mother's side. There is only one match for her fathers family, in all of the Ancestry files - he and Dad have no other common matches. On her mother's family, there are matches with her fathers family, and her mothers family, but none match both, meaning, I presume that none of my grandmothers siblings or cousins descendants have done DNA tests.

The Leeds Colour Charting has been very useful in sorting out who Dad's matches are, but no so much in finding matches to prove or disprove my theories on his Sussex ancestors. I live in hope that more and more people are "doing" their DNA.

Di
Old 01-02-19, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquette View Post

The Leeds Colour Charting has been very useful in sorting out who Dad's matches are, but no so much in finding matches to prove or disprove my theories on his Sussex ancestors. I live in hope that more and more people are "doing" their DNA.

Di

I am banging my fist, demanding that others test themselves - and realising what a clever marketing ploy this is. DNA testing is demonstrating the ancestry of those interested in testing. Those with Norfolk ancestors clearly don't want to waste money on such tests, and that is the area I am fascinated by.
Old 01-02-19, 14:33
Administrator

I find it quite strange when a whole family group appears in my list of DNA matches (where most of them have had their DNA tested pretty recently) but none of them seems interested in contacting their matches or exchanging information about their family tree.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-02-19, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I am banging my fist, demanding that others test themselves - and realising what a clever marketing ploy this is. DNA testing is demonstrating the ancestry of those interested in testing. Those with Norfolk ancestors clearly don't want to waste money on such tests, and that is the area I am fascinated by.
After a cursory examination, my ancestors from the southern counties don't seem to be widely represented in my DNA matches. Now OH is quite interested in being tested as he is curious to see whether he will get matches to discover his grandmother's father.
Old 01-02-19, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
After a cursory examination, my ancestors from the southern counties don't seem to be widely represented in my DNA matches. Now OH is quite interested in being tested as he is curious to see whether he will get matches to discover his grandmother's father.
It will be quite a bit of work to discover his grandmother's father, unless the matches have a family tree, and you know who you are looking for. You also need to know as many descendants' surnames as possible - I could see the male lines immediately, but the married females don't even retain their maiden name and some even use a pseudonym or nickname on their ancestry results.

Dad has a match with a weird nickname in the second cousin range - she matches with all his paternal cousins but has no family tree on ancestry. Its annoying because she also matches with the one Tupper family member I know and a few others linked to him, but I cannot tell why.

If he does test, I wish him lots of family trees linked to the DNA matches, who name his grandmother or great-grandfather in them.

Last edited by marquette; 01-02-19 at 23:38. Reason: username removed as it identifies the person