Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 15-01-19, 20:28
Administrator

Does a butcher's daughter from Alrewas (a long way from the sea) get on a ship whilst all her siblings married either in Alrewas or Lichfield (nearby)?

It just seems very unlikely!

Perhaps there's a gap in the Alrewas registered where the marriage should be. I haven't looked

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-01-19, 09:40
Administrator

Quote:
What happened to the Ordnance Yard in Nova Scotia?
I don't know for sure. (but see next post a bit later on.....)

I just read through the 14 page will of Rev John Morewood, 1828.

John left money and possessions to quite a large number of people. Most are cousins named Morewood or Gardom (his mmn) or descendants of people with those names. He also left a legacy to a servant who tended his wife (Mary Morewood/Scammell/Gildart) in her last illness back in 1809.

However, not a penny seems to have gone to his widowed step-daughter, Ann Fawcett/Scammell or her surviving daughter.

Now I'm wondering if the Ann Fawcett who was of Symondsbury, Dorset and who was listed in the Death Duty register for Ann's son, John James Fawcett, who died in Ireland in 1827, was his mother at all. I got the impression John James was not married when he died (as his fellow officers had a tomb stone erected in his honour and placed a notice in the paper about his death - no mention of a wife/family), but perhaps this Ann was his wife and maybe his mother was already decd? I believe Ann Fawcett, dau of Mary Gildart, dealt with Mary's estate in 1809 (rather than the widower, John Morewood, doing it) so Ann was alive at that date. In 1799 Ann Fawcett was probably living at Hackney and in 1801 she was living at Kensington House, Westminster, so she got about a bit!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-01-19, 10:14
Administrator

Quote:
What happened to the Ordnance Yard in Nova Scotia?
A good question!

In 1785 Francis Gildart, the uncle of Mary whose first marriage I'm after, left the Ordnance yard as follows:

"To my niece Mary wife of Rev. John Morewood the ordnance yard at HaliĀ¬
fax, Nova Scotia (which belongs to me as my proper estate) to her and
her heirs forever, she and her heirs paying half the yearly rent to
my said nephew Francis Gildart and his heirs forever. "

I've spent some time reading this:

https://archive.org/stream/gildartge...0gild_djvu.txt

which, amongst other things states.....

that Francis Gildart, one of the legatees in the above will (Mary's brother) lost his life by drowning whilst on the way to a fair (no burial found, but maybe about 1780). I see his widow remarried in 1783.

Francis had several children inc Thomas Gildart who apparently years later went to court over his inheritance from the Ordnance Yard (presumably because no rent money was coming his way, perhaps because his father had died before the original testator?). Apparently, the lawsuit failed. Wouldn't that put Ann Scammell in a good position financially, as Mary Gildart's heir? Or would that not be the case because she was from a previous marriage, Mary only inheriting after she was married to Rev John Morewood?

Old 16-01-19, 10:30

Roll on retirement! I think I will have to wait until this evening to get my head around this.