Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 12-01-19, 23:50

Default DNA match success !

This is not a question, but I am so happy, I want to share.

My 3xg great grandfather Charles Tupper, was baptised in Woolavington Sussex in 1807, with no parents recorded. His death certificate stated his father was Thomas but no mother's name was given.

An Ancestry DNA match with my father, of 31centimorgans, made me look at the brief family tree linked. There is a Charlotte Tupper who married a man with a fairly unusual name.

A bit of research on freeBMD found Charlotte and her husband and descendants, and Ancestry provided some marriage and census links.

There are two possible Charlotte Tuppers, but I think I have the right one. The other one belongs to the family but is a further distance from Charles. With either Charlotte, the centimorgans match is within the range for Charles to belong to the same family. There is only one Thomas Tupper baptised in the family in the appropriate time-frame.

A few more matches would really help confirm it, but so far I am pretty satisfied that Thomas Tupper who had other children baptised in Woolavington and Graffham at the same time IS Charles father.

Di
Old 13-01-19, 04:42

Congratulations, I think!!

I don't really understand DNA matching but am trying to learn as I am curious. So what you are saying is you think you found Charlotte, who would be sister to your Charles?
Old 13-01-19, 05:07
Administrator

Result!

Old 13-01-19, 06:39

That's good news Di
Old 13-01-19, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Congratulations, I think!!

I don't really understand DNA matching but am trying to learn as I am curious. So what you are saying is you think you found Charlotte, who would be sister to your Charles?
No, I think her father is a nephew of Charles (maybe I explained it incorrectly before).

In the family tree of the man who has a DNA match with Dad, his Charlotte Tupper married Alfred Grevatt. When I looked at the records, the marriage record on ancestry gave her father as Henry and the only Henry in my tree was the son of Charles' older brother William.

Charles did have a sister Charlotte, too, but she was too old to marry Alfred Grevatt.

DNA can be very confusing - on my Dad's paternal side (COLLIS) there are over 25 family members with DNA on ancestry - some of them I cannot work out where they fit in, without knowing more than just the DNA match and their name. Most are 3rd cousins or closer, some match to Dad and both his grand-daughters, some match to only one grand-daughter.

I made a sort of spreadsheet and tried to put everyone into it, in a way which shows where they fit. Its a bit clunky and untidy but it works. I think it would work better on a smaller set of DNA matches.

Di
Old 13-01-19, 09:58

My cousins have found this very useful for using with Ancestry matches. From Dana Leeds - Colour clustering. This is DIY! Some other companies use a Leeds based tool but you need to buy it (so I understand but I could be wrong).

https://www.danaleeds.com/leeds-method-dna/