Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 28-04-14, 17:37

Default Charles Edward Smith, Able Seaman J14923 Royal Navy

4th of the Old Boys of my school to die in WW1.

Charles was born in Haywards Heath, Sussex on 4 Sept 1895 son of George Alfred and Annie Smith who had 5 other children, including another son, Albert, who was also to lose his life in the conflict. Charles's father was a bricklayer’s labourer and they lived at 23 Queens Road. In 1911 Charles was a “chicken lad” on a poultry farm.

Charles joined the Navy and was serving on HMS Bulwark when he died on 26 Nov 1914, the battleship was moored off Sheerness when ammunition caused a massive explosion, killing most of the 750 crew. He was 19, and is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial at Southsea.
Old 28-04-14, 22:41

The destruction of HMS Bulwark was horrific.

http://www.historicmedway.co.uk/disa...ms_bulwark.htm
Old 29-04-14, 06:53

Yes, I've discovered many horrific things while researching my 75 Old Boys, I'll be putting up a small display on each of them at school on the 100th anniversary of their deaths but as it's a primary school I'll be concentrating on their lives rather than the manner of their deaths.

Up until this anniversary year I've only ever done intermittent research as it can be quite upsetting.