Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 15-12-13, 13:17

Very true!
Old 28-02-14, 11:17
Administrator

Well, the missing parishes have been added to SEAX / Essex Ancestors at last, and I have had a look at the stuff I couldn't look at before, and am still confused!

John Horner made his mark when he married Charlotte Sweatman in 1778, but of course he could have learned to sign his name between then and 1790. If he isn't the John Horner who signed as a witness when his son John got married in 1802 in Chigwell, then there is another John Horner involved! My John apparently signed his will which was written in 1820, although of course I can only view the PCC copy so I can't see the actual signature. But there is nothing to say that he made a mark instead of signing.

The witnesses at John Horner and Charlotte Sweatman's marriage were Tho Clarke and Edwd Hasler, both serial witnesses.

Witnesses at the marriage of John's daughter Sarah Charlotte Horner to Arthur Noone in 1810 were Saml Carter and Julia Sophia Hepworth.

Julia Sophia Hepworth married a Henry Newton 14 Dec 1811 also at St Mary, Leyton, and the witnesses were Wm Collins and Catherine Horner (another of John Horner's children).

Julia Sophia Hepworth was baptised 10 Oct 1790 at St Mary, Leyton, parents William Hepworth and Alice Mary. William Hepworth married Alice Mary Dowsett 28 Oct 1779 at St Sepulchre, London, witnesses William Johnson and Mary Ann Johnson. I can't find a baptism for Alice Mary Dowsett, but she could possibly be the Alice Dowsett who was baptised 24 May 1763 at St Mary, Leyton, parents William and Mary Dowsett, who would probably be William Dowsett and Mary James who got married in 1759, witnesses Eliz Blair and Jno James.

There is a Richard James, farmer, of Leyton, who is one of the executors of John Horner's will, but referred to as his "friend". Richard James is a witness at quite a few of John Horner's children's marriages, but I have not managed to find out whether he was actually related to the Horner family and if so, how.

A few other things I have found in the records which don't add up to anything but I don't want to forget them!
Sarah, baseborn daughter of Ann Golding and John Horner, baptised 24 Jun 1778 at Waltham Holy Cross, buried 26 Jul 1778 at Waltham Holy Cross (mother's surname spelt Goulding on the burial.)

Children of Thomas and Elizabeth Horner baptised at Waltham Holy Cross:
Sarah 6 Feb 1745 - possible burial 7 Mar 1764
Mary 26 Jul 1747
Ann 18 Feb 1749
John 16 Sep 1753
Martha 19 Jun 1757, buried 12 Apr 1758.
Thomas Horner, of Waltham, Essex, husbandman, bachelor, farmer's son, married Elizabeth Mils of the same parish, spinster, in a clandestine marriage 3 Oct 1741.
Eliz Horner, wife of Thomas, buried 20 Sep 1767 Waltham Holy Cross.
Thos Horner buried there 30 Aug 1771, no age shown.

George Day of Waltham, widower, married Sarah Rowley of Stepney, widow, 26 Sep 1811 at Waltham Holy Cross / Waltham Abbey, one of the witnesses is John Horner and the other one a serial witness. It looks like the same John Horner whose marriage was witnessed by George and Ann Day. I'm not sure whether it's the same George Day.

Out of the few Waltham Holy Cross marriage entries I have looked at, two of them have "bachelor" crossed out and "widower" written in, so maybe they weren't very careful about the man's marital status, which could explain why John Horner is down as a bachelor.

George Day baptised 30 Mar 1788 at Epping, baseborn, born 2 Mar 1788, mother Elizabeth Day. Nothing about the father.

Some more Day info which may or may not be relevant:
Robert Day of Waltham Holy Cross made his will in 1753 and it was proved in 1756, mentions his son George Day of Lowton (i.e. Loughton) - baptised 1722 in Waltham, son of Robert and Alice. Also mentions Alice, wife of Arthur Read, and Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Tolson. Arthur Read's will written in 1786 and proved in 1790 mentions George Day the elder, prisoner in Chelmsford Gaol, his sons George and Robert, his sister Elizabeth Burgen (Elizabeth Tolson married Francis Burgin or Burgen in 1759), and "each of his daughters". George and Elizabeth Day had the following children baptised at Loughton: Mary 1746 died in infancy, George 1749, Robert 1752, Alice 1754. George must have had at least one more daughter for "each of his daughters" to make sense and maybe it was Elizabeth, but I can't find anything to prove it.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-06-19, 16:29
Administrator

There is a George Day burial 6 May 1801 at St Mary the Virgin, Leyton - could be the George born 1788 at Epping, meaning that his mother Elizabeth was probably the one who married John Horner. But as far as I can make out from the tiny PR image on SEAX that you get if you don't pay, there is no other information on the burial record apart from the date and his name, so it could easily be some other George Day.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Tags
to4g53