Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 25-01-21, 10:19

Default William Millest and Mary Ann Sweeby in 1841

William Millest, tailor, and Mary Ann Sweeby married on 27 December 1850 Portsea:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2F00114710%2F1

William's father, John, was a coachman and Mary Ann's father, William, was a labourer.

It would be interesting to know why they decided to marry, as they had lived as man and wife since at least the September quarter of 1845 when the first child I can find, John Edward Millest, was born in the Isle of Thanet RD.

Their next child, William, was born in Lenham, Kent:
MILLESH, WILLIAM SWEEBY GRO Reference: 1846 S Quarter in HOLLINGBOURN UNION Volume 05 Page 281

Once they were established in Portsmouth, they remained there for the rest of their lives. Mary died in 1875, William in the workhouse in 1892 and both were buried in Kingston Cemetery.

William Millest was born c 1821 in Anstey, Hertfordshire, and Mary Ann Sweeby c 1812 in Spaldwick, Huntingdonshire.

I am curious about their lives before marriage.
Mary Ann had at least one child before she met William.

(John) Riley Sweeby was baptised 23 February 1838 at All Saints, St John, Huntingdon. I cannot find a birth, but Riley, aged 3, is in the Huntingdon workhouse in 1841.

A Frances Sweeby, daughter of Mary Sweeby was bp 27 Jan 1843 St John Huntingdon. She died as a small child.

So, can anyone find either William Millest - presumably already a tailor - and Mary Ann Sweeby, who ought still to be in Huntingdonshire, in 1841?
Old 25-01-21, 10:38

Note that this appears to be William Millest's family:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...n&pId=15833038
John, victualler aged 40, wife Ann, children John, 20, George 15, Edward 14 and Charles 11.

in Wyrardisbury, Bucks.none born in county.

A Samuel Millest, coffee house keeper aged 25, son of John Millest Inn Keeper married in Marylebone 23 May 1843 (witnesses from wife's side)
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ue&pId=1878413
Old 25-01-21, 14:15
Administrator

Just to say I have been looking, but no luck.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 25-01-21, 16:13

Thanks for looking, Kite.
Unfortunately, both names lend themselves to mistranscription.

Charles Millest, the youngest known son, was baptised in Feltham, where his parents are described as being of Wyrardisbury and his father a servant.

I suspect that Mary was probably living under someone's protection and William was probably in London.

I'm also intrigued by (John) Riley Sweby. I can't find him in 1851, but in 1855 he joined the navy. He appears to have been a servant, also working as a cook and when he married was a baker in Portsmouth. When he married in 1867, he described his father as John, a carpenter (which may, or may not be true). By 1881 he had William Millest, his father in law living with him. William was a witness at his marriage.