Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 21-01-21, 09:55
maggie_4_7

Default DNA Conundrum

I have a DNA match of Shared DNA: 20 cM across 1 segments it is a man that matches with four people, three haven't trees but the fourth one is my first cousin's daughter Shared DNA: 461 cM across 22 segments.

The relationship to me of my first cousin's daughter is through one of my mum's older brothers through his daughter. She is his granddaughter.

The strange thing is this man does not have a match with my actual first cousin who is female Shared DNA: 862 cM across 37 segments.

The relationship to me of my first cousin female is through my mum's sister.

I would expect my first cousin to also be match.
Old 21-01-21, 12:18
maggie_4_7

Could it be because of the different type and amount of DNA that is passed down to daughters from their fathers and the different type and amount of DNA that is passed down to daughters from their mothers?
Old 21-01-21, 14:09
Administrator

It won't be because of gender, just because the 20 cM segment has been passed down to your uncle and then from him to his daughter and then to his granddaughter, but his sister (your aunt) either just didn't happen to inherit that same segment, or if she did, she didn't pass it down to her daughter.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 21-01-21, 14:47
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
It won't be because of gender, just because the 20 cM segment has been passed down to your uncle and then from him to his daughter and then to his granddaughter, but his sister (your aunt) either just didn't happen to inherit that same segment, or if she did, she didn't pass it down to her daughter.
Thank you Kiterunner.