Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 21-09-21, 17:11
Administrator

Default LDS Records Digitised

Huge news: after 83 years of filming the world’s historical genealogical records, FamilySearch has completed digitizing its 2.4 million rolls of microfilm. The best part? The archive, which contains information on more than 11.5 billion individuals, is now available for free on FamilySearch.org.

https://www.familysearch.org/blog/en...SDv34t_TpCH2QA

Old 21-09-21, 17:30
Administrator

The trouble is, a lot of the digitised films are only available to view at FamilySearch Centres, at least for those of us who are not members of the LDS Church.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 21-09-21, 17:35
Administrator

Hmm, and some microfilms are still showing in their catalogue as microfilm only! But maybe they have just not finished updating the catalogue?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 21-09-21, 18:31
Administrator

It will all be available on FamilySearch as soon as they can add it. Most LDS libraries don't order films any more, only the big one in London. The Coventry one hasn't for some years.

Old 21-09-21, 18:34

I would imagine that a lot of the images won't be available for viewing because of copyright issues. It depends on the agreements with the respective repositories.

I use the online records for Cornwall very frequently. Luckily the wills are free to view. Some of the parish records can't be accessed, however.
Old 22-09-21, 01:29

What's really frustrating is that you can access say some registers for a parish at the FHC but there are others from the same parish that aren't available because they were apparently filmed under a different agreement which prohibits it. How that can happen I don't know when it's the same archive but it is really annoying.

That said the amount of records that are viewable at the FHCs is amazing and I do hope it's not too long before they are open again, albeit I can understand why many haven't reopened yet (and I don't blame them).
Old 22-09-21, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiP View Post
What's really frustrating is that you can access say some registers for a parish at the FHC but there are others from the same parish that aren't available because they were apparently filmed under a different agreement which prohibits it. How that can happen I don't know when it's the same archive but it is really annoying.
While it may irritating to us, I find some comfort that on the internet there are some rules which are adhered to. In the wild west of the nineties, family history societies found that their hard worked on indexes were acquired by overseas organisations, who then used the material for their own profit. For many years, certain bishops refused, for religious reasons, to allow the Mormons to copy their registers. It made research difficult, but I can appreciate the disquiet.