Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 21-08-21, 03:55
Administrator

Default Melville Harcourt Wybert

Melville was b 1909 Hampshire
He is here with his parents in Portsmouth Hamps in 1911
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Alfred Wybert, of private means, b c1872 Dublin and Emily nee Ashford, b c1884 South Africa. I believe it is likely that they married in South Africa c1903.
It is likely that Emily is Emily Enid Salina Farrance Ashford.

Meville Harcourt-Wybert changed his name to Melville Harcourt in 1940 in NZ

When Melville married in NZ in 1931 the newspaper reported his parents were Dr and Mrs Harcourt-Wybert of South Kensington

Can anyone see what happened to Alfred and Emily after 1911?
I have the information from Family search for the parents of Emily, and I have her sisters. I cannot find Alfred before 1911 and have no family information for him.

Possibly Emily married again June q 1941 registered Ilford, as Emmeline SF Harcourt-Wybert, this is the only record that I can find for Emmeline, if it is not Emily, Emmeline appears out of nowhere for the wedding!

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 21-08-21, 06:11

He's in the rate books at the 1911 address on Find My Past, the next one they have is 1921, he's not there.

Something from his past though.

The China Mail 21 Jan 1892 has a report from Hong Kong about Alfred H Wybert opening a sporting evening (chiefly boxing) with a display of roller skating:

"In spite of an awkward gradient on the stage and the redundancy of the trap doors, Mr Wybert gave a capital exhibition of fancy skating, for which he was loudly applauded, and much disappointment was felt that a humorous display he was giving, illustrating the trials of the learner of skating, was brought to an abrupt termination by the breakdown of one of his skates"
Old 21-08-21, 07:06
Administrator

I have just found a bit more about Melville, 1924 he sailed to Australia age 15 from SA Training farm Hadleigh Essex.
I wonder how he got to the training farm.
Edit - his brother sailed to NZ age 16, occupation farm work

My feeling is that there is something a bit odd about Alfred....

and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 21-08-21, 08:52

This caught my eye as I know I have the name Harcourt in my tree.

However, I have Harcourt Montague Straton Lycett, born in 1877.

Off to have a search for Alfred and Emily.
Old 21-08-21, 09:26
Administrator

Here are a couple of entries that on the face of things would appear to be nothing to do with your Alfred, however, the common theme with these two entries is that I cannot find any sign of them anywhere else! So, the death entry is for a person not on the London erolls, census, birth registrations etc etc and the birth registration is for someone who did't die, didn't seem to have obvious siblings, whose parents marriage isn't obvious and who isn't on a census. Clearly there are lots of simple reasons these two may look suspicious, but have nothing to do with Alfred!:

Name: Albert Wybert
Death Age: 49
Birth Date: abt 1873
Registration Date: Apr 1922
Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Registration District: Lambeth
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1d
Page: 272

WYBERT, CHARLES WILLIAM LANCASTER mmn BLUMENTHAL
GRO Reference: 1873 J Quarter in EXETER Volume 05B Page 86

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-08-21, 09:44
Administrator

I wonder who this is?

Could be Alfred's mother using a middle name and knocking off a few years, or could be another Mrs H-W:

Incoming passenger list:

Arrived Plymouth Nov 16 1938, S S Ormonde from Brisbane

Mrs S Harcourt-Wybert aged 49 UK address 26 Mountaire Court, Highfield Ave W9 London. Household Duties, country of permanent residence England.

I looked at the Erolls for 26 Mountaire Court:

1937 Harry Charles Summerton and Dorothy Summerton (both b 1903 from 1939 Reg)

1937 and 1939 James Gibson and Isabella Mitchell Gibson (b 1866 and 1873 respectively and still at that address Sept 1939)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-08-21, 11:12
Administrator

I found that passenger list for Mrs S in 1938 when I was having another look this evening and found both Melville and his brother Gerald sailing to Aus and NZ at such young ages.
There don't appear to be any other Harcourt-Wybert anywhere, so she has to fit in somewhere. I also wonder if Emily Enid Selina went by Selina and fudged her age.

It is interesting that Melville's marriage report in 1931 does not indicate that his father is dead.

Looking for Charles William Lancaster Wybert, there is a family tree on Ancestry which has Charles Wybert and Sarah Blumenthal as parents with a son Francis Ernest born Waterford 1879, but the tree does not have a lot of detail.

FE Wybert Actor b c1879 Ireland is on the 1901 in Durham, then he seems to go to America where he also becomes a bit vague about his age, 1918 be is b c1879 but be 1930 he is b c1891, got the same wife and daughter though!
What is it with these people!

(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 21-08-21, 13:20
Administrator

Birth cert:

Francis Ernest Wybert

b 18 Aug 1879 Main St, Lismore, Co Waterford, Ireland

Father Charles Wybert Main St, Comedian

Mother Sarah Wybert formerly Blumenthal Main St

Birth reg 5 Sep 1879

Old 21-08-21, 13:44
Administrator

Sara Wybert (no H in Sarah) is on the 1911 census - a 60 year old Widow with some family in West Derby Lancs. She says eight children, three living, five dec'd.

Sarah died in 1921 in Croydon district near London.

Old 21-08-21, 13:48
Administrator

Charles William Lancaster Wybert, b 1873 seems to have died in 1882 aged 8 in Ireland. The cert doesn't have any middle names, but the occ says "child of Actor", so it must be him.