Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 04-08-19, 09:14
Administrator

Quote:
Thrulines says Susannah's father is William Speight. There is a Richard Simpson who married a Susananh Speight in 1812 at Campsall York, according to familysearch. This couple, according to FMP, had children Elizabeth 1816, John 1819, Sarah 1821, William 1823, Richard 1826, Maria 1828 and James 1830 all bapt Arksey. That Richard was alive on the 1841 and 1851 census. That Richard is conveniently also a cordwainer.
On the 1851 census this Susannah says she was born about 1789 in Clayton in the Clay, Yorks.

There's a baptism on FMP at Frickley with Clayton for a Susana Spight (sic) in 1788 and one for a Matthew Speight the following year, both with father William.

I'm not 100% sure Clayton in the Clay and Frickley with Clayton are the same place, but they probably are. I would also suggest you double check the dates of the baptisms as there were several versions of each of them and the dates seemed to vary between 1788 and 1789, making me confused as to whether they are siblings or not (the dates of birth are included on some of the baptism records).

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-08-19, 12:37

I checked Parloc and it has the parish Clayton with Frickley just to make life more complicated lol. Google says Clayton in the Clay is near Barnsley. Parloc says Barnsley and Clayton with Frickley are 6.9 miles apart. But knowing how this is all so confusing she probably just said Clayton and the enumerator chose the one they knew.

The online trees do have a sibling Matthew for Susannah Speight although one has him immigrating to the US and one has him living and dying in Yorkshire.

I typed the above up and forgot to post so a few hours later I've re-checked the baptisms. I truly think there are 2 couples - my Richard and the Richard from Bentley. My Richard has a son John in 1811 and the other Richard a son John in 1819. I can't find a death for the 1811 John, otherwise I could, maybe, be persuaded my David's Richard moved to Bentley and his mother was Susannah Speight. I can't identify children for the second couple before 1816.
Old 04-08-19, 15:18
Administrator

Quote:
I don't think the Francis fits in properly with the Francis I have
What are the details of the Frances you have?

The Francis at Horton is the son of Richard a shoemaker, according to his marriage cert (married Hannah Hebblethwaite 1849 at Bradford cathedral).

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-08-19, 13:39

I think Francis who married Hannah Hebblethwaite is actually the son of Richard's brother, William. If the Francis in the 1841 census belongs to Richard and Susannah I haven't been able to find a birth.

I look at the 1841 census now and can't see why I think the Susan isn't mine. It would tie in nicely with the baptism for a Susan Wilkinson. It is possible I looked at it and thought it was mother and son, except that I can't see that I can't find a birth, so discounted it. William had 10 children, Richard 3, so maybe William offloaded Francis.

I heard back from someone else who is looking into this family and she had William Speight as the father of Susannah. I asked her why she thought that as I couldn't work it out and I had seen the Susannah Wilkinson marriage. She has had a quick look and now thinks Speight is wrong too. She thought she had a census with both families but can't find it. So my confusion is contagious. lol
Old 05-08-19, 14:08

Comparing the 1841 census with Susan Simpson and Francis Simpson, it is definitely the same Susan who died in 1847. They were both at Portland St. In 1841 Susan is 50 (+/- 5 years). In 1847 in the newspaper (The Bradford & Wakefield Observer) and burial register she is 61. It must have been a tough 6 years.

Last edited by Kit; 05-08-19 at 14:42.
Old 05-08-19, 17:17
Administrator

Quote:
I think Francis who married Hannah Hebblethwaite is actually the son of Richard's brother, William. If the Francis in the 1841 census belongs to Richard and Susannah I haven't been able to find a birth.
So, a mistake for father's name on Francis's marriage cert? And a mistake for father's occupation as William was a mason? And Francis is living with his uncle's widow in 1841 and not his parents?

Having said that, I can't see any other outcome for Francis who was the son of William and Rebecca!

EDIT Francis and Hannah named a daughter Susannah too, but no Rebecca!

Maybe the vicar made mistakes at Francis's baptism?!!!

Old 05-08-19, 22:37

I think Richard and William's father was also Richard and I don't know his occupation.

I dd think it was a mistake at the wedding and the uncle was recorded as the father. When I think it is my family, I just think Francis was living with Susannah.

Do you think he is their child?

I need to go out. I'll look more closely later.
Old 06-08-19, 08:12
Administrator

I don't know. Perhaps Francis was brought up by his uncle and Susannah from a young age for some reason? Even so, to put the name of a long dead uncle on the marriage cert seems quite a step when your father and mother are still alive and living in the same area. Obviously still possible though. Maybe Francis wasn't told Richard and Susannah were not his biological parents?

Old 06-08-19, 12:19

I wonder if the minister just made a mistake if Francis had just always lived with Susannah, and Richard when he was alive?
Old 06-08-19, 12:22
Administrator

Yeh, possibly.