Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 29-06-19, 14:01

I've been scratching my head since Dad's results appeared Monday about how I could match the daughter and granddaughter of someone who Dad also matches, he also has a match with someone else descended from an earlier generation which I do not. Dad's match with the mother was 29cM over 3 segments and 20cM over 2 segments for the daughter, I only show 8cM over 1 segment with the daughter on Ancestry. Just logged into Gedmatch for the first time in a couple of months to find I do match the mother, 11cM, and the daughter 10.9cM. I understand why the amounts are different betwen the two sites but I can't see why I wouldn't match the mother on Ancestry. I've also noticed, but it could just be a delay in some of Dad's matches appearing, that he's not matching some I have on confirmed lines (but matches others from the same line who are managed by my matches) and there is also the anomaly that my matches with some are higher than Dad's, when in fact you would expect mine to be lower. I'm wondering if Ancestry have changed recently the way they are doing the matching and its throwing some strange results. That said, the match on Gedmatch is welcome as it looks like finally a 20 year brickwall has fallen.
Old 29-06-19, 14:24
Administrator

Nicki, great news about your brick wall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Make sure to read all the privacy info about GEDMatch first!
Thanks, will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
That is curious I would expect similar to OH or less because otherwise to me it looks like it has jumped a generation. Although it isn't a great difference perhaps the methodology has gone a bit awry.
lol Maybe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Not necessarily, because it wouldn't mean that your OH and his ex are related to each other, just that someone is distantly related to both of them.
Yes, very good point. I should have thought of that!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010