Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Grandparent

Old 14-07-11, 13:21
tenterfieldjulie

Default Mathew McDonagh OH MF

Name: Mathew McDonagh
Date and place of birth: 1867/8 Townland of Gurtigara, Gurteen, Boyle, Sligo, Ireland. I have not found a birth record in the RC Register at Gurteen or GRO Ire. It could be mistranscribed.
Names of parents: John McDonagh and Bridget Finn
Marriage: 1 July 1896 to Ellen O’Connor at St. Benedicts Sydney (Have cert)
Military service: Nil
Address: Gurtigara, Gurteen, Sligo, Ireland and Ben Lomond, New South Wales. (In the 1891 Census, his bachelor uncle, Mathew Finn, who Mathew McDonagh came out to Australia to work and live with, had 5 males in his household, so I presume Mathew McDonagh was one of them, along with his cousin, John Joseph Finn, who was born at Sligo in 1872. Mathew Finn had purchased land in 1885 at Ryanda, Ben Lomond - the two nephews were the executors of Matthew Finn's estate)
Date, place and cause of death: 7 July 1961, Hospital Guyra, NSW – Congestive Cardiac Failure (Have Cert)
Date and place of burial: 9 July, 1961 Cemetery at RC Church, Ben Lomond, NSW
Details of will: I know my Mother-in-law was left a town block in the village of Ben Lomond and she refused it. She said it would cost more for rates and looking after the weeds and it wasn’t worth selling!! She said the solicitor couldn’t believe it!! (As was the tradition, her brothers inherited nearly everything)
Memorial inscription: I have a photo. : Pray for the Repose of the Soul of MATHEW McDONAGH BORN CO-SLIGO, IRELAND. DIED 7TH JULY, 1961. AGED 94 YEARS. R.I.P. – WHITE MARBLE CROSS, BLACK GRANITE SLAB. HEADSTONE NEXT TO WIFE, ELLEN’S. RC CHURCH YARD, VILLAGE OF BEN LOMOND, NORTHERN HIGHLANDS OF NSW, AUSTRALIA
I don’t think Mathew really knew when he was born. In 1897 he said he was 28. He wrote to his brother in Ireland about 1958 and said when were you born, because I am older than you. Birth records of Mathews brothers John and James are available and Michael (mistranscribed as Martin) but we haven’t yet found Mathew. From purchasing daughter Bridget's birth cert in 1897, it told me that Mathew was born in Gurteen, up until then the information available to me was that he was born in Sligo. Then in Ireland I chanced on a Genealogy page that gave me a birth of a Martin Finn, with same parents as Mathew and the townland of Gurtigara. Stayed at a B & B in Gurtigara, where they connected me with wonderful living relatives..

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 14-07-11 at 13:29.
Old 14-07-11, 13:37
Administrator

Just curious - what is a town block, Julie?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 14-07-11, 14:31
tenterfieldjulie

Hi Kate, Just a vacant piece of land suitable for a house. Although as this was in Ben Lomond village, it could have been a bit larger. In those days it probably had a fair infestation of rabbits and blackberries too. (UK imports lol)
Old 16-07-11, 08:37
tenterfieldjulie

Wedding 1st July 1896 - Very thrilled that a neighbour of the family knew of my interest in genealogy and when going through family photos found it and sent it to me.
Old 16-07-11, 09:30

Don't they look young......lovely photo.
Old 16-07-11, 11:04
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Libby. I was so thrilled to get it. Apparently in those days with studio photos you got a offer of a number of small ones at a discounted rate and you sent them to family and friends who couldn't be at the wedding. A number would have gone back to Ireland. This was sent to another Irish man in Ben Lomond who was this ladies father-in-law and J sent it to me. There would have been a large photo, which probably ended up in a second hand shop somewhere for the frame. I also have a beautiful large studio photo of Ellen in a large wall frame with an oval inset and curved glass. I think it was taken later than the wedding photo. It probably would have been taken in a makeshift studio that travelling photographers used to carry around with them in a wagon.

Tags
togp2