Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Grandparent

Old 10-07-11, 11:49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I can't find the Thompson / Wicks marriage that you're talking about, so I'm giving up on that.
Oops, I hope you didn't spend long! I had a double wine ration and so posted the wrong surname! Very sorry

The person listed as Dowsett in the death notice may have started out as a Thompson (ie possibly the married sister of the Thompson person?). There is a marriage of the right Thompson forename to Dowsett in 1967 in Kingston upon Thames, but I can't trace the Dowsett line back further than the marriage of the groom's father in 1936. I then tried to find the Thompson bride being born with mmn Baxter, but that didn't work either. Normally I would just say probably no connection to Muggins, given the time frame in particular, but with Muggins tree there are different rules! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-07-11, 06:10
Muggins in Sussex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Oops, I hope you didn't spend long! I had a double wine ration and so posted the wrong surname! Very sorry

The person listed as Dowsett in the death notice may have started out as a Thompson (ie possibly the married sister of the Thompson person?). There is a marriage of the right Thompson forename to Dowsett in 1967 in Kingston upon Thames, but I can't trace the Dowsett line back further than the marriage of the groom's father in 1936. I then tried to find the Thompson bride being born with mmn Baxter, but that didn't work either. Normally I would just say probably no connection to Muggins, given the time frame in particular, but with Muggins tree there are different rules! lol
LOL Merry!!

I have looked up that marriage, but the names mean nothing to me - but then again, I am not in touch with any Dowsetts, so I guess that means nothing
Old 11-07-11, 12:40
Administrator

Sorry about all my cryptic posts on this thread. I have managed to eliminate the line of people called Dowsett who turned up in the Times snippet. I can't work out who the Wicks person is, but I'm thinking if the Dowsett's are not to do with your JAD then litle most likely the Wicks isn't to do with your either.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-07-11, 19:00
Muggins in Sussex

I think I'm beginning to undestand - sort of - Merry

Don't suppose the initials MHW, GDW or PW feature anywhere, do they?
Old 11-07-11, 19:08
maggie_4_7

Joan

Can I ask something I thought there was a Maguerite in your family somewhere or am I wrong?
Old 11-07-11, 19:23
Muggins in Sussex

There was Maggie She was Dorothy's first child (known as Margaret), the one whom HW snatched and took to Germany as a young girl - I met her on quite a few occasions. She was the splitting image of Caroline Ruth Wicks, whose photo I found in a file at Kew

Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 12-07-11 at 06:52.
Old 11-07-11, 19:25
maggie_4_7

Okay did HW think she was his biological daughter then?
Old 11-07-11, 19:38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
I think I'm beginning to undestand - sort of - Merry

Don't suppose the initials MHW, GDW or PW feature anywhere, do they?
No, I could do you MJAW (married female, husband unknown) and for the D surname, THD (married to the dau of MJAW) and his father, TJHD who I originally thought was dodgy as he apparently wasn't born or died, but now I've found he was born in 1915 (and he has a real, existing-on-the-census father, so a red herring), just that he hasn't died!! lol

Old 11-07-11, 19:45
Muggins in Sussex

That is the big mystery, Maggie

He was awarded guardianship of Marguerite (b 1922) in 1928 at Liverpool Children's Court - I have no details as the records are "closed". Round about the same time, Dorothy was so worried that he was going to try to take my mother too, that she moved to France with my mother and they moved from town to town.
Old 11-07-11, 19:52
maggie_4_7

Joan

The penny has only just dropped

I think it's because I always come in half way and then get confused!

Tags
togp2