Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 07-11-14, 09:12
tenterfieldjulie

Default Thomas Greentree, Windsor & Tamworth

Name: Thomas Henry Greentree
Date and place of birth: 23 December, 1831 Wilberforce, (Freeeman's Reach) NSW, Australia
Names of parents: William Greentree and Mary Ann Callow (both convicts)
Marriage: to Catherine Cohen (daughter of convicts) on 19/12/1855 Presbyterian Manse Pitt Town near Windsor, NSW
Occupation(s): Labourer, Sulky Driver for Dr in Tamworth and Farmer
Military service: Unknown
Addresses where they lived: Freeman's Reach/Windsor/McGraths Hill/Clydesdale, and Nemingha, Tamworth NSW Australia.
Date, place and cause of death: 9 June 1902 Nemingha, Tamworth, NSW
Date and place of burial: Tamworth (C of E Section Cemetery,) NSW, Australia
Details of will: Unknown
Memorial inscription: Have photo.

Children Registered: Born Windsor: Mary Ann 1857 (Fretson/Frederickson); Sarah Jane 1860 (Dodd); Clara Ann 1863 (Ayre); Thomas James 1865 (m Mary Jane Duggan); Harriet Elizabeth 1868 (Lane); William Edward 1872 (m Mary Ann Lane) (Possible death Qld) ; Annie Maria 1874-1900. Born Tamworth: Richard 1878-1949 (m Agnes A Sippel);

Mystery 1 - In 1878, enrolled at the local school with the Greentree children; (the oldest being Clara Ann), was an 8 yr old Alfred Shepherd. Alfred is named as the informant on Thomas death certificate & as his son. I am not sure whether he was fathered by Thomas, or in fact was the son of James Shepherd and Caroline Greentree (Thomas sister), who were witnesses at the marriage of Thomas & Catherine. I found the marriage of James Shepherd and Caroline Greentree in 1856 at Windsor. I also found a birth of Albert G Shepherd in 1869 at Goulburn parents James and Catherine. I am wondering if this a mis-spelling and it should be Caroline.

Mystery 2 - James Greentree .. according to family lore, he was a son of Thomas and Catherine, but possibly the son of Richard Greentree and Margaret Jeffrey. Richard then died leaving her with 5 young children, she remarried the next year had 3 more children and then he died, so possibly over time who were his parents were became confused, especially as hismother now had the name of Hunt and not Greentree. Found a death in 1952 at Tamworth,NSW of James, son of Thomas and Catherine. I think I need to buy his death certificate to find out more.

Mystery 3 - William, my OH's grandfather, took the name of William George, born Tamworth C1880. On both his marriage and death registration his parents are named as Thomas Greentree and Catherine Cohen, but his birth has not been found. He is not the George the son of Thomas' sister Mary Ann .. he has been found on an Electoral Roll in Victoria with his parents .. his father was Swedish and his parents married the year after his birth at Walcha, reg as Fretson ... but in Victoria it became Frederickson (variations of spelling.) ..

Mystery 4 - Some people think William whose death reg in Inverell in 1953 was William Ernest, but I think his death was in Qld in 1934, William Greentree, son of Thomas and Kathleen age 55 born Parramatta. .. to informant in those days Parramatta/Windsor were probably the same place. When Annie died in 1900 at Tamworth (she is buried with Thomas and Catherine so we know for sure who she is) her mother was named Kathleen on her death cert. I think I need to buy the Qld death certificate too, to see who the informant was. I think he William Edward who married Mary Ann Lane.

Hopefully if I buy William George's son George Lorimer's birth certificate, William George may say his age and where he was born, death certs are only what the informant think is the truth.

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 09-11-14 at 00:40.
Old 07-11-14, 09:13
tenterfieldjulie

Phillip GREENTREE, in his "They Stood Tall" In mid-life, Thomas later left the Hawkesbury, becoming as with the others, a man of the land, eventually owning his own holding near Tamworth.

Thomas was born at his parent's Wilberforce farm 23 December 1831 and as with the rest of his family, never received a formal education.

Apart from his birth, the next record of Thomas was when the Reverend Matthew Adam married Thomas, and Catherine Cohen [Cowan] of Pitt Town, at the Presbyterian Manse, Pitt Town, 19 February 1855.

Catherine was the daughter of James and Isabella Cowan, one of her sister's to later marry Thomas's older brother Henry. Witnesses at the wedding were James Shepherd and Caroline Greentree, who themselves were engaged to marry.

At first glance, they may seem a fairly itinerant couple, if the abodes given on various birth registrations are taken for granted. They were living at Windsor when their first child, Mary Ann was born December 1857, and at MCGraths Hill for Sarah Jane's birth during 1863. When Thomas James was born, they were at Clydesdale. However, it is quite possible they were at all times living along the Windsor Road, in the Clydesdale/ MCGraths Hill area.

We know from the roll of the Nemingha school in 1878, that Thomas and Catherine Greentree's property was just half a mile from the school. Clara Ann [15], Thomas James [12], Harriet [9], William [6], Anne Maria [4] and Alfred Shepherd [8] were all enrolled

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 07-11-14 at 10:55.
Old 16-08-15, 17:14

Default James Shepherd & Caroline Greentree (M:1856)

I'm researching James and Caroline Shepherd. More-so their children who were left without parents after James' death in 1866 and Caroline in 1869. According to my research the children were Elizabeth (Dec), Sarah (11), Ann (10) and Mary (Dec)

I have a "feeling" Ann is my 2nd Great Grandmother and I' attempting to confirm or dismiss this.

If you/anybody has any info on this line or would like to share anything I may have on the Greentree/Shepherd line please let me know.

Last edited by Smooth; 04-09-15 at 06:16.
Old 04-09-15, 06:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post

Mystery 1 - In 1878, enrolled at the local school with the Greentree children; (the oldest being Clara Ann), was an 8 yr old Alfred Shepherd. Alfred is named as the informant on Thomas death certificate & as his son. I am not sure whether he was fathered by Thomas, or in fact was the son of James Shepherd and Caroline Greentree (Thomas sister), who were witnesses at the marriage of Thomas & Catherine. I found the marriage of James Shepherd and Caroline Greentree in 1856 at Windsor. I also found a birth of Albert G Shepherd in 1869 at Goulburn parents James and Catherine. I am wondering if this a mis-spelling and it should be Caroline.
I would say not based on my research, James was deceased in 1866 and Caroline in 1869. All indicate that James and Caroline lived, married, had children and died in Windsor, NSW. Records show they had 4 children all girls. 2 surviving and 2 deceased. On daughter's Ann's birth certificate it does though list 1 male as deceased and on Mary's death list her mother's name as Catherine and not Caroline (Still Windsor though!). The records vary with the spelling of Shepherd/Shephard/Sheppard/Shepheard. Searching with a wildcard (*) helps I.E: Shep*

Also no sign of education of either parents or children and none could read or write. It should also be noted the reverse of witnesses on James and Caroline's marriage certificate where Thomas and Catherine Greentree returned the favour of their marriage a year before.

Regards, Jim

Last edited by Smooth; 04-09-15 at 06:30.
Old 04-09-15, 12:19
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Jim.
Old 26-10-19, 14:37

Quote:
Mystery 3 - William, my OH's grandfather, took the name of William George, born Tamworth C1880. On both his marriage and death registration his parents are named as Thomas Greentree and Catherine Cohen, but his birth has not been found. He is not the George the son of Thomas' sister Mary Ann .. he has been found on an Electoral Roll in Victoria with his parents .. his father was Swedish and his parents married the year after his birth at Walcha, reg as Fretson ... but in Victoria it became Frederickson (variations of spelling.) ..
Possibles:

George Greentree B: Abt.1880 Son of Mary Ann Greentree (eldest daughter of Thomas and Catherine) Raised by grandparents Thomas Greentree and Catherine Cowen. This would be Thomas' daughter NOT sister!

William Thomas Greentree B:28 Feb 1878 Tamworth, New South Wales, Australia M:Amelia (Millie) Ryan D:1935 Quirindi, New South Wales, Australia
Parents: William Thomas Greentree and Mary Ann Timmins

William Ernest Greentree B:1872 M:14 Feb 1893 Tamworth, New South Wales, Australia (Mary Ann Lane) D:03 Jul 1930 Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
Parents: Thomas Greentree and Catherine Cowen

Maybe you already found the answer?

Regards, Jim