Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-04-18, 17:11

Default Re ormskirk area

I will e.mail the library and see what records they hold ., and will let you know .
Old 14-05-18, 07:32

Hi , was looking at the marriage of Samuel Hale in Ormskirk in 1851 , Grooms father William . We assume that is death was the one mentioned in 1849 . Could it be that William hale was still alive at that point ? Thanks
Old 14-05-18, 09:23
Administrator

Samuel Hale b abt 1828 Ormskirk is with his wife Ellen and three sons (checked birth registrations and mmn is Harrison) in 1861 in St Helens. Tracing him back to 1851 he is with his widowed mother Esther Hale aged 50 b Ormskirk. So that's Esther Chamberlain isn't it?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-05-18, 05:04

Hi , yes that's correct , but Samuel got married in 1851 , and on parish records it' states grooms father William . So it looks like he attended the wedding as he is mentioned . Unless parish record is incorrect . But previously we have assumed he has died around 1849 .
Old 15-05-18, 06:04
Administrator

Quote:
So it looks like he attended the wedding as he is mentioned . Unless parish record is incorrect . But previously we have assumed he has died around 1849 .
Just because a father is named on a marriage cert doesn't mean he was at the wedding! It was a legal requirement that a father's details were taken and recorded. So his name being on the certificate doesn't mean he was there. Family members did not routinely attend weddings in those days as they do today.

It was very common for information to be taken about the father without asking if they were dead or alive too. So a marriage certificate that suggests the father is alive isn't exactly incorrect, it's just not complete information. There is no mention in the column headings of the requirement to state if the father is deceased.

It's more likely it's correct that Esther was a widow in 1851 (have you looked for her husband staying somewhere else and found any possible matches?).

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-05-18, 06:20
Administrator

Had you looked at the burial for William in 1849?

Burial: 5 Aug 1849 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
William Hale -
Abode: Ormskirk
Notes: Roman Catholic
Register: Burials 1846 - 1852, Page 266, Entry 2126
Source: LDS Film 1849664

He was Catholic. This might explain why you can't find a suitable baptism in the area. Transcripts of St Ann's Ormskirk RC church records are held at the Lancashire Archives, but don't seem to be on Lancs OPC.

Old 17-05-18, 09:20

Hi , yes I understand more clearly now , perhaps I will have to visit the records office in Preston . And have a look to see if I can find him Thanks for your help once again ??
Old 05-04-19, 07:53

Hi Merry , I'm still searching for the birth of William Hale around 1795 ormskirk area , last time I looked you had found a few William hales in the area ,but couldn't pin point which one was correct .Is there any other way to find more info ? Thanks
Old 05-04-19, 13:09
Administrator

Have you eliminated the records for St Ann's Ormskirk RC church?

Old 09-04-19, 07:19

No , but they are not online ,on ancestry ,family search Etc . Looking at the records ,they may be held in Preston for St Annes Catholic Church . I have emailed them to see if they hold the records , will let you know . If so I may have to make a trip . Thanks