Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 08-06-11, 07:53

Ann, look what I have found on this site:

Plans of churchyard and detailed lists of graves, tombstones and inscriptions
Reference Name SCOTTON PAR/8/5

Produced by Revd HE von Sturmer, rector, in 1884, with annotations to 1978.

Date: 1884-1978

Repository: Lincolnshire Archives [057]

OH and I need to return to Lincoln at some time, so I shall definitely be looking at this. There are no images for it on the website.
Old 08-06-11, 08:23

Hurrah! I have just found the christening for my ancestor Newbourn Wood at Scotton.

The IGI doesn't have it, although it has the christenings of his siblings.
Admittedly it is diffult to decipher from the original register, but I knew what to look for and when.

He was christened on 22nd December 1756.

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 05-08-12 at 09:07.
Old 08-06-11, 09:58
tenterfieldjulie

Well done Elizabeth. A lady found my John Sloman at Tiverton in a similar fashion. She said it was only because she knew who she was looking for that she found him. It is brilliant when you find that elusive one isn't it.
Old 08-06-11, 10:02

Yes, Julie, it's fantastic. I have also just viewed the marriage of his parents at Lincoln St Martin in 1750, and it very helpfully states that they were both of the parish of Hemswell, which means I have the correct baptism for Joseph Wood. I need to find the baptism of his wife, Ann Newbo(u)rn now.

FMP has their marriage allegation:

Year: 1750
Groom Forenames: Joseph
Groom Surname: WOOD
Groom's parish: From elsewhere
Groom's condition: Single
Groom's age: 28
Bride Forenames: Ann
Bride Surname: NEWBORN
Bride's parish: From elsewhere
Bride's condition: Single
Bride's age: 28
Place of marriage: Lincoln St Martin
Diocese: Lincoln
Checked: Y
Notes:
RO Reference: MB 1750/189
Record source: Lincolnshire Marriage Licence Bonds and Allegation
Data provider: Lincolnshire Family History Society

However, the parish register shows that the "elsewhere" is in fact Hemswell!
Old 09-06-11, 22:50

What a useful site. I don't have anyone in Lincs myself, but I'm doing my BiL's tree, and he has loads.

Pity that some parishes/years don't seem to be online yet.
Old 10-06-11, 07:27

I could be gone for a very long time!

I have my Wood family in the Scotton area, and then there is OH's Newton/Dawson/Morris clan to be unravelled.
Old 10-06-11, 14:12

OH's family were in the same place in Lincolnshire for a couple of generations. I've managed to bury several of them (including a 16 year old boy killed by a cart - obviously the vicar felt that was out of the ordinary) and gone back another generation.

It looks like they moved there from elsewhere, so next I'm going to have to look at surrounding parishes.
Old 10-06-11, 17:31

We got our wills today - the only trouble is, only ONE of the three is for the person we thought! The couple who we thought were OH's 4x great grandparents, George and Elizabeth Palmer are different people altogether (although of the same family with the same names and very close dates of death) and they weren't even married to each other! Elizabeth was the wife of *our* George's nephew Richard Palmer but she died in the same year as OH's 4x great grandmother. As for the George Palmer whose will we now have, lots of details fit him being ours'...except the names of his children, some of which are the same but others definitely aren't! Back to the drawing board there I think. They are a hard family to fathom because a) there were so many of them and b) they all had the same few Christian names within each generation - a not uncommon problem, of course! There were Palmers in Great Ponton going back into the 1600s so,like Elizabeth, I may be some time......

At least the third will was undoubtedly that of OH's 3x great grandfather George Palmer (another one!) who was a farmer and publican in Great Ponton. Whenever any of this family appear on the census they are nearly always described as "farmer of 17 acres". It was clearly a family holding of land and we would love to know what happened to it...but the will makes no mention of that or anything else since he merely left everything "of what nature or kind soever" to his "dear wife Jane Palmer". Well, we knew that because she took over the pub and was farming the 17 acres on the census after George died. As OH says, our 17 acres are probably under the A1 dual carriageway now!
Old 10-06-11, 17:38

Ann, how frustrating for you. Some families really do take a lot of unravelling, don't they?

Could there have been other children you didn't know about? That might account for the extra names.

I have a couple who married in 1728 and the first child I can find was baptised in 1737. There must have been earlier ones, however I don't know which parish they would have been living in!