Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 07-11-14, 10:07
tenterfieldjulie

Default Catherine Greentree nee Cohen (Cowen)

Name: Catherine Greentree nee Cohen
Date and place of birth: 7 August 1837, baptised with her baby sister Isabella on 5/8/1840 NSW, Australia
Names of parents: James Cohen (Cornelius Cowen convict) and Isabella Smith
Marriage: to Thomas Greentree on 19/12/1855 Presbyterian Manse Pitt Town near Windsor, NSW (She was 18. Her father had died in January earlier in the year)
Occupation(s): Midwife
Military service: N/A
Addresses where they lived: Pitt Town/McGarths Hill in the Hawkesbury River area, then Nemingha, outside Tamworth, NSW Australia.
Date, place and cause of death: 8 October 1921 Tamworth, NSW
Date and place of burial: Tamworth C of E Section of Cemetery, NSW, Australia
Details of will: Unknown
Memorial inscription: Have photo.
Children: Registered Born Windsor: Mary Ann 1857 (Fretson/Frederickson); Sarah Jane 1860 (Dodd); Clara Ann 1863 (Ayre); Thomas James 1865 (m Mary Jane Duggan); Harriet Elizabeth 1868 (Lane); William Edward 1872 (m Mary Ann Lane) (Have not found his death) ; Annie Maria 1874-1900; Born Tamworth: Richard 1878-1949 (m Agnes A Sippel);

In 1878, enrolled at the local school with the Greentree children; the oldest being Clara Ann, was an 8 yr old Alfred Shepherd. Alfred is named as the informant on Thomas death certificate & as his son. I am not sure whether he was fathered by Thomas, or in fact was the son of James Shepherd and Caroline Greentree (Thomas sister), who were witnesses at the marriage of Thomas & Catherine. I found the marriage of James Shepherd and Caroline Greentree in 1856 at Windsor. I also found a birth of Albert G Shepherd in 1869 at Goulburn parents James and Catherine. I am wondering if this a mis-spelling and it should be Caroline.

There is also the mystery of who James Greentree was .. according to family law a son of Thomas and Catherine, but possibly the son of Richard Greentree and Margaret Jeffrey, Richard then died leaving her with 5 young children, she remarried the next year had 3 more children and then he died, so possibly over time who were his parents were became confused, especially as mother now had the name of Hunt and not Greentree.

The other mystery is about William, my OH's grandfather, who took the name of William George, born Tamworth C1880. On both his marriage and death registration his parents are named as Thomas Greentree and Catherine Cohen, but his birth has not been found. He is not the son of Thomas' sister Mary Ann .. who has been found on an Electoral Roll in Victoria with his parents .. his father was Swedish and his parents married the year after his birth at Walcha as Fretson ... but in Victoria it became Frederickson (variations of spelling.) ..

Hopefully if I buy William George's son George Lorimer's birth certificate, he may say his age and where he was born, as death certs are only what informant's think is the truth.

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 07-11-14 at 10:10.