Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 04-02-14, 02:07

I would think that if it says "native woman" she was ethnically Indian, but if it says someone was a "native of Dinapore" they were just born there, and could be of any ethnicity.
Old 04-02-14, 07:56

Mine was actually 'resident of' rather than native but I understand what you mean.
Old 06-02-14, 19:56
Administrator

I'm a little bit underwhelmed by FMP's latest news item:
British in India Success story: findmypast’s Estelle discovers a knight’s secret past
http://blog.findmypast.co.uk/2014/br...s-secret-past/

As far as I can see, the knight is her grandmother's cousin Gerald Priestley, and she already knew he had been knighted for his service in the Indian Civil Service, and the only thing she seems to have found out about him is that he got married, which she could have found out before by looking on FamilySearch! All the rest of the article is about his wife's family, who are only related to Estelle by Gerald's marriage.

My quick Google search for "Sir Gerald Priestley" came up with a family history page which says that he later married a divorcee (i.e. his second wife), Evelyn May Ledward, nee Burnage, at Kloof (South Africa) after 1959, so when Sir Gerald was in his seventies. I have to say that if he was my relative, I would be looking into that instead of his first father-in-law's sisters-in-law!

Also, I don't get what she means about getting the names of the first wife's grandparents to "take my tree even further back". I wouldn't have thought they belonged in her tree? Why bother tracing back the ancestors of your grandmother's cousin's wife?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-02-14, 03:04

I agree, not sure she really knows what she is doing. I also wonder if he is actually related to her at all, given her lack of understanding.
Old 09-02-14, 09:02

That's how some people get absolutely huge trees, they tag on people that aren't even blood related. A lot of us know of someone who has tagged someone else's tree to their own when there is only a tenuous link.

An example that I could do:
Anstey Nomad's husband and I are connected via a brother of an ancestor of her husband who married one of my 3 X great grandmothers. It was her second marriage, my connection is through her first husband. No blood connection to AN's OH at all, but if I was that way inclined I could tag all of her research onto my tree.

I probably couldn't because she isn't going to give it to me.

Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 09-02-14 at 09:08.
Old 09-02-14, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I agree, not sure she really knows what she is doing.
She used to be on the staff of GenesReunited, if I remember rightly
Old 10-02-14, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
That's how some people get absolutely huge trees, they tag on people that aren't even blood related.
I have a few non related people on my tree but most of them are to show that inlaws are related to each other and how families were connected.

I also put in non related, living, people if they have provided information that helped me with my tree. Generally they are connected to someone in the tree, but are not blood related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
She used to be on the staff of GenesReunited, if I remember rightly
Not sure how to respond to that.
Old 10-02-14, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I have a few non related people on my tree but most of them are to show that inlaws are related to each other and how families were connected.

I also put in non related, living, people if they have provided information that helped me with my tree. Generally they are connected to someone in the tree, but are not blood related.

Not sure how to respond to that.
I'm referring to people who tag on someone else's whole family when it isn't connected. I had someone do that. In the early days when I didn't know better I sent someone a gedcom. They were connected to my husbands side of the family. They added my side too I have never made that mistake since.
Old 10-02-14, 11:04

I'm too lazy to do that. All the effort of attaching is too hard.

I hate adding sources, although I know it is important but I guess those who add a whole tree that doesn't belong to them don't bother with sources.
Old 25-12-15, 17:23
Administrator

These have been updated today. I wasn't expecting any "Findmypast Fridays" this week because of Christmas, but I have just seen the email, and they have added a :
Society of Genealogists index of BMD's
and they have added extra records to the Births and Baptisms
and the Wills and Probate

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update