Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 17-02-12, 16:44

Default Westminster Parish Records - ancestry

An article in my Kent Family History Society Journal, which arrived today, says that Ancestry are planning to add Westminster parish records this year. Unfortunately, it doesn't say WHEN this year but it's something to look forward to.
Old 17-02-12, 18:37
maggie_4_7

That's good.

Old 17-02-12, 19:26

It certainly is. I've had a few copies of entries from Westminster Archives and they are very good to deal with but s-o-o much better to sit at home and get the thing you want straight away without having to post a letter and a cheque and then wait for the copy to come back. Pity we can't get certs that way too!
Old 17-02-12, 21:08

It can't come too soon. my Stowell family were based in Westminster & i am sure that there will be some baptisms there somewhere & burials too hopefully.
Old 21-02-12, 12:57

Is there any more detail Ann ? Westminster put the contract out to tender last year for the digitisation, indexing and publication and it was Brightsolid (who own Findmypast) who won it. I'm wondering exactly what Ancestry have got, as all of the Westminster records they currently publish are Bishop's transcripts from the LMA, rather than the originals.

Thanks,

Rick.
Old 21-02-12, 14:42
maggie_4_7

Ooh must check this out maybe its a joint venture Ancestry clearly has more resources!
Old 21-02-12, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Is there any more detail Ann ? Westminster put the contract out to tender last year for the digitisation, indexing and publication and it was Brightsolid (who own Findmypast) who won it. I'm wondering exactly what Ancestry have got, as all of the Westminster records they currently publish are Bishop's transcripts from the LMA, rather than the originals.

Thanks,

Rick.
No Rick, it just said that Westminster parish records would be added to Ancestry in 2012. Unfortunately I can't quote the exact piece in the article because I threw the journal away once I'd read it and the recycling bin has been emptied today. It was definitely Ancestry though, I do know that. How strange.
Old 21-02-12, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
No Rick, it just said that Westminster parish records would be added to Ancestry in 2012. Unfortunately I can't quote the exact piece in the article because I threw the journal away once I'd read it and the recycling bin has been emptied today. It was definitely Ancestry though, I do know that. How strange.
Hope that's right as I've got Ancestry and not Findmypast

I've got so many in my tree from Westminster though, I might have to treat myself if not !
Old 21-02-12, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Hope that's right as I've got Ancestry and not Findmypast

I've got so many in my tree from Westminster though, I might have to treat myself if not !
Me too. A-ha, I thought, I'll be able to see all my St George,Hanover Square marriages and baptisms....and probably a few burials too. I prefer Ancestry to FMP; it has its faults but I am so used to it after all these years.

Have you had any dealings with Westminster Archives Rick? I've bought a few copies of PRs from them and they've always been good to deal with. Here's their web-site

http://www.westminster.gov.uk/servic...amily-history/
Old 21-02-12, 21:49

A London-based friend got me some copies of PRs from them, but I need open access to St Clement Danes really and I've also got SGHS like you, plus St Anne Soho.