Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-10-20, 08:57
Administrator

I'm blaming the cat for me saying there was no image for Dinah Starkins baptism!

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2F71572075%2F1

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-10-20, 09:03

Robert Grout "Church Clerke" buried 16th April 1699

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2F72305299%2F1
Old 19-10-20, 09:32
Administrator

re my EDIT of post #2....

I've just realised from reading your opening post again (properly!!), that you think Philip bap 1686 is the person I've got being born in 1705! So, I've assumed an extra generation.

I see a lot of trees on Ancestry have Philip b 1686 and dying in 1778 which of course is possible, though making him significantly older than his wife, which is also possible. However, I have this from his grave (assuming it's him, I mean!)

Braughing churchyard Grave ref A4
Philip Grout who died March 30th 1778 aged 73 (might read March 3rd aged 75!)

Ties in well with the PCC will of 1778. He was buried 24th March (not a date in Feb as some trees have) at Braughing, so the exact date is a bit iffy, but the gravestone might have been put up some time later. I should have a photo of the grave somewhere, unless a photo was no help! Probably about 12 or 14 years since I went there, so I don't know if I will be able to find the photo if it exists!

As I can't find a baptism I don't know who his father was, but imagine it was one of those boys baptised in the 1680s-ish.

I would have thought the burials in Elizabeth's Post #9 could be for Philip bap 1686 dying in 1706 and his father in 1716.

I guess it's unlikely Philip jr was married by aged 20, so more likely one of his brothers was the father of Philip b 1705ish. If Philip was born before 1705 he's probably James' son and if he was born a bit later he could belong to James or Thomas, or some other person we haven't traced yet!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-10-20, 11:07
Administrator

The Philip grout who died in 1716 left a will so hopefully if you were able to access that, it might help you with which Philip he is (and sorting one Philip may help with the others!)!

Name: Grout, Philip
Dates: 1717
Place: Braughing, Herts., Hertfordshire, England
Book: Marriages at Curry Rivel, 1642 to 1812. (Marriage)
Collection: Essex, Hertfordshire: Chelmsford - Wills, 1620-1720
Volume: Index To Wills Now Preserved In The Essex Record Office Chelmsford
Chapter: 1620-1720
Text: 1717 Grout, Philip, collar maker, Braughing, Herts. 102 MR 9

Old 19-10-20, 11:09
Administrator

You can pay to view that will online here:

https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.u...tSearchType=12

Old 19-10-20, 11:22
Administrator

There's also this entry on the same site:

1733 Will of James GROUT of Puckeridge, BRAUGHING, Hertfordshire, collarmaker

This could be the father of Philip b abt 1705 and son of the Philip who died in 1816 and who wrote the will in my previous post.

Old 19-10-20, 11:36
Administrator

It looks likely that Thomas, bap 1691 died as a child:

Braughing burials 1691

Thomas the son of Phillip Grout Dec 11th

And then there's another burial....

Braughing burials 1694

Thomas the son of Phillip Grout April 13th

Old 20-10-20, 04:24

Oh my! So many suggestions from you wonderful people. Philip Grout who died 1778 - I have a copy of that Will and it was he who was married to Dinah (her surname to be determined later). They are the parents of my ancestor Philip born 1737. If we look into Merry's graveyard inscription, it gives Philip Grout dying 30 March 1778, aged 73. That date of death fits with the Will but it makes the birth in 1705 which takes us back to one Merry mentioned earlier. So now if we (temporarily) forget the Philip baptised 4 Feb 1686, son of Philip and his brothers, do we now look for a 1705 baptism with different parent/s??
Old 20-10-20, 06:58
Administrator

If it were me the first thing I would do would be to purchase a sub to Essex Archives so you can view the wills of James Grout 1733 and of Philip Grout 1717. Even if they are unhelpful in not naming people, I am sure they are for your relatives of one sort or another, so the money won't be completely wasted and they have the potential to sort things out for you!

I've not used the Essex Archives site myself, but others here have. Here's EAs page about subscribing:

https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.u...onservice.aspx

Paying a subscription on Essex Archives Online allows the user unlimited access to images of Essex parish registers, wills and electoral registers for the length of the subscription period. Images of parish registers, wills and electoral registers are available by subscription only, so you should register so you can save your search results and then subscribe when you have a good enough list to make it worthwhile.

I tried searching just the word Grout and there's loads of stuff! (including more who lived in Braughing and other nearby places in Herts).

If you have any questions about using the site and/or getting the most out of it, it might be best to start a new thread for that - I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Old 20-10-20, 07:33
Administrator

I just searched Grout on Hertfordshire Names Online and whilst I didn't spot anything new (doesn't mean there isn't anything new!) I did notice that their site has the marriage of Philip and Dinah indexed thus:

Philip Grout of Braughing Dinah Starkyns Bishops Stortford marriage register 6 Oct 1734

which I don't think it was previously!